MK1, which suspension?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Storm, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Storm New Member

My MK1 GTI is standard apart from an uprated suspension kit fitted some years ago with a 40mm drop. Maybe i'm getting old or something but i'm getting sick of constantly driving in zigzags avoiding potholes or bumps in the road due to the hard suspension. Gone are the days when I thought about getting the car as low as I could and to hell with the bad ride.
    I'm seriously considering fitting standard shocks and springs(the rest of the car is unmodified anyway) so I can start enjoying my mk1 again. The problem is I do like the look of the car with the slightly lowered suspension so I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent kit which lowers the car yet still is okay over the bumps.
    Any suggestions? :(

2. Rustynuts Forum Member

Yeah, your best bet is to go fo the Boge Gas shock setup with lowering springs of about 20mm. They are good value from German Swedish and French at about 180 and i would fully recommend them.

3. essex_lad Forum Member

Running the BOGE lowering spring Kit from GSF (about 20mm) and Bilstein Shocks from ECP and I'm pretty pleased with the ride.

Also have Powerflex Bushes all round as well, I think they actually help a bit too.

4. Storm New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I did actually buy that Bogey kit from GSF a year or two ago for a mk2 and was very impressed. Its just that my mk1 shell has suffered 240,000 miles of pounding from uk roads and it definately feels weaker for it.
    Maybe I should fit that kit and also a couple of strut braces to stiffen things up.

5. nuttinnew Forum Member

Sounds like a plan. Also sounds like the dampers are worn.

6. Counterfeit New Member

if you want fun, fit some eibach anti roll bars

7. domma Forum Member

Storm,

I could'nt have written that post more similar if i'd tried!

We must be getting old mate! Long gone are the days i used to run my Bug lowered to _uck and ran different exhausts for different journeys.

both my mk1 and i are starting to loose it with the pooe roads around my way. Don't want to pay a shed load of cash for a set upm that will knock me fillings out.

Cheers for the advise guys,

Domma..............

8. Storm New Member

Good to know it aint just me!