MK1's power steering!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by x0272062, Apr 23, 2007.

1. x0272062 New Member

Hi guys and no more then been said in past big or small question, been searching around and got to the stage that paying some company to do the conversion its a lot of money however if you into DIY mechanics some news its a lot of steering rack arround Peugeot, Renault, Nissan, etc, the thing is how to and what steps LOL[:s] so not being a lot chicky, just ask is anyone here interested to help and if poss step by step...;) come on guys lets beat the rippers, many thanks to all,
    nuno

2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

3. mexicorich Forum Member

Is anyone an expert with the elctric power steering fitted to modern cars?

I think its Corsa electric power steering that a number of autotest competitors have used

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I have heard of this being used - think an install may have turned up on a link to the original thread. Either way, it's hefty work.

5. mk1_andy New Member

if you are going to use corsa power steering then get it second hand/scrap yard as when we replaced some at work im fairly sure they were ~800 for a new column.
    like most things vauxhall it isnt actually vauxhall... i think its got mitsubushi on so might be worthwile checking some jap cars in the scrappies.
    if i change another one at work i will try and keep the old one if anyone wants to have a fiddle with it?

6. mk1. Forum Junkie

7. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Corsa PAS is a bit poo IMO - missus had one on her corsa, and it'd tend to overhead and pack up as soon as it's asked to do something vaguely strenuous like parallel parking. The price quoted earlier ain't far wrong either (so we sold the corsa and bought a Seat :-) )

8. x0272062 New Member

How about hydraulic anyone know the step by step and what rack to use? is that pump and pipe line can be taken off mk2 or mk3 but i willing to try if anyone can tell me the proper steps lol, many thanks:lol:

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Check the link in the second post. It is work in progress and one day I hope to be able to write up dimensions for bracketry and everything.