mk2 020 AUG box into mk3.5 replacing DFQ box. tricky gear selection(align tool sorted it).

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by ambrose89, Oct 17, 2023.

1. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

IMG_20231017_184046.jpg Have just swapped a mk2 AUG (8v gti) box into a mk3.5 golf cabriolet replaing a DFQ box.

Swapped in the mk2 clutch, which was proud of rivits, to suit the AUG. Used existing flywheel and pressure plate.
    Didn't undo any of the gearstick main rod, merely popping off the rods that push/clip onto the balls.

Just taken it for a quick test drive, pedal is quite hard (having not been before), after pulling away in 3rd I eventually managed to get first by aiming for where reverse was. Not having got on a road to get into 5th. I appear with a bit of fishing to be able to just about get reverse and 4 gears.

1. what could the selection issue be ? -I shouldn't need the alignment tool should I, and the long linkage with 2 ball cups on it, it is possible to put this on the wrong way round so I'll flip it 180 degrees when engine cool and see if that does owt.
    2. Why the high pedal, biting point? -Clutch looked ok. -Is it something to do with putting the mk2 box into a mk3.5
    TIA

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  2. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Also, I'm assuming rivets have gone internally. worth repairing/cost ? (I've a spare casing)
    If not, what is worth saving off this box (DFQ from an AGG engine) fifth gear ? any internals of use to a mk2 golf? (I've a complete dismantled 020 2y minus either the 5th gear or reverse, cant remember which)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  3. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

IMG_20231019_122841.jpg Update.
    I wondered if the gear selection issue might have been due to any diiferences due to exisitng mk3 linkage and the new mk2 box. I had a spare mk2 linkage kit in the shed. There are differences between the long linkage bar - the mk2 with white cups and mk3 with black cups. see image. I swapped in the mk2 linkage bar, it didn't make any difference.
    I couldn't see how I needed to align the gearstick as I'd swapped gearboxes with the same casing part no and did not dismantle/loosen the main gearstick rod collar 13mm nut below the exhaust manifold.

But I gave it a try, loosened the nut, aligned stick using the gearstick alignment tool, tightened nut - the result is I can now select gears smoothly.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023