Mk2 1.6

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Jul 2, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi everyone, thought would share our project golf with you all.
    It's the first golf we have owned, but do have a 9n3 polo that we bought for our son, sorted problems and getting it how he wants it for when he passes his test. Also had a Seat inca (mk2 caddy) previously which got modified.
    Have a couple of other old cars too, mgf and classic mini, both upgraded, and an Audi A4 estate which is where the story of the golf begins...
    Took the A4 to our local garage as had to have the tracking done after fitting a set of lowered springs, Allie (my wife) took me down to collect it and waited for me to come out with the keys.
    I said to her that the garage owner had just offered me his golf, but I had declined as had too many cars, "Can I have it?" Came her reply.
    So she became the proud owner of a 5 door jade green mk2 golf 1.6cl.
    Knowing that the guy had owned the car for 9 years and was a vw enthusiast and owns the local garage was a bonus, it's been looked after, but had been stood since last mot, little tatty on body, but underneath solid, new subframes, bushes, brake lines, bearings, discs, pads, radiator, alternator and water pump. And a weber conversion to replace the original carb.
    So on getting it home, had a proper poke around,
    Both rear arches were rusty, but nothing major, patch needed on rear valance, small blister on a sill and front wings were tatty around the edges. Paintwork was okay but with the arches and wings will need resolving.
    So, couple days of fettling and all solid again, dents in back panel under bootlid gone and new wings ordered.
    More parts ordered and fitted or stored until after sprayed, door and boot handles, inner mirror covers, alloy gearknob, trim bits and a proper cl boot badge.
    Have got hold of a set of 15" Borbet A wheels, just waiting for tyres, and an engine under tray which is unusual I've been told.
    It also has a 3 spoke steering wheel, I'll get a photo soon.
    I've also been collecting parts since before Christmas for a project, S3 1.8t APY engine, ecu, loom etc, cupra 6 speed, vr6 subframe, 4 pot calipers and discs, rear disc set up, trackslag downpipe, and few other parts.
    Have a choice to either put it in the golf, or find similar car myself, time will tell, I do know of another mk2 with blown engine.
    Went to scrapyard couple weeks ago and managed to pick up a drivers door for £25, ours has damage around lock, and a ce1 engine loom, rear wiper mechanism, mk3 master cylinder and more.
    Wings and door have been dropped off at sprayshop awaiting shuts to be sprayed, hopefully soon.
    Really must thank everyone on here who has helped me with all the questions I've asked, still learning on vws, but every day is a school day they say.
    Cheers Dave.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks a tidy wee golf and good work on the welding :)

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Thanks John, and thank you for all the help and input.
    One of the things I got at Breakers was the engine loom from a ce1 golf, and so started the 1.8t loom conversion, hopefully last night finished the wiring and soldering, amazing guide, so much easier having the physical bits in front of me, have read a lot over the months, not as daunting as you think.
    Also managed to get my focus master cylinder drilled 3mm today, so one more item prepped.
    Fingers crossed I'll get some work done in the garage this weekend, may get plates sorted for rear brake set up.

Attached Files:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a familiar sight that one :lol:

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

Bit of a tidy up in garage has given some room now that I've moved the wheels and subframe that were in there, and sorted shelves so stuff isn't just lying about in boxes.
    Changed connector on the 1.8t loom so the oil switches are crimps, repurposed the sump wires for second switch, and took the lump off the trolley I had it on due to one of the wheels giving up the ghost, and was giving quite an angle.
    Replacement starter on now but not tried cranking over yet, may get a battery rather than jump leads.
    Few pics of the engine for good measure.
    Unsure about the rear mount, I've ground a small amount away to clear oil line on turbo, not huge amount, just enough. But was now wondering if rear mount from epytec 4wd or the darkside development Vnt one may be a better option, due to them being plate rather than a cast lump with a bit missing. Hmm, something to ponder for a while.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  6. dodgy

Little dinner time project, focus master cylinder, drilled 3mm and mk3 reservoir fitted.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  7. dodgy

Not much been happening on the actual golf, just driving it for couple weeks, been sorting list of parts and ordered some, dbw pedal bracket, parts for clutch master cylinder and kindly received a pedal box off Tim, cheers.
    The other project has taken time this week, deciding to finally take it for an mot after being sat in garage for a year nearly, the mini 1000.
    Went to swap it around with the golf, and clutch stuck, sorted that, then found golf didn't fit in garage due to the S3 lump taking up 8" too much room, bugger!
    Anyway, mini went through the test, got couple bits left to do on it, such as spray bonnet and probably remove steering restrictions (big wheels so collared rack to avoid hitting inner arch, rover welded the last 2 teeth up on sport pack cars racks!) Pretty pleased, can advertise it now.
    Then thinking would have a restful day, get a message saying golf can go for paint a week on monday, so been out and stripped bumpers, trim, arches, grille and all off it.
    Very pleased, all bolts came undone and inner chassis rails are spotless on it. Awaiting return of wings and door with slams painted, quick fit then get fresh paint on.
    May look for replacement bumpers and definitely lower spoiler, original one has had a hard life.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I do like an Original Mini. I will restore one, one day!

9. dodgy

It's my 29th mini, 998cc, cooper 12G295 head, KAD cam, fully adjustable suspension, sparco reclining seats, megajolt ignition, innocenti bits and loads more, heart rules head, and spent a year or more rebuilding it to my spec.
    But the golf bug has got me now

Savagesam likes this.
  10. dodgy

After work today we took the golf down to the guy who is doing the paint for us, stripped wings and rear lights out ready when we got there.
    New wings and a replacement drivers door already prepped by him.
    Colour is staying the same, jade green, nice period shade, should look nice with the black arches and a set of borbet A wheels, think we have most bits to put back together including a golf cl rear badge, new gti front spoiler ( one was fitted before) and rear wiper mechanism that was partially deleted.
    Could possibly do with centre rear VW badge, and may replace bumpers if can find good deal, small ones still, but mate has set of 90 spec sat in his garage if needed.
    Hope to have return of her in under 2 weeks, should be quite a difference, refreshed and shiny.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  11. dodgy

Managed to get a 9" servo yesterday, and a mk3 gti tank with pump, heated mk2 washer jets (snazzy), filler neck rubber and c clip, and loads of little bits I needed/wanted.
    Long day, 550 miles, but worth it, £35 for the lot.

12. dodgy

Couple of pictures from dropping into body shop earlier in the week when prepping and one the guy sent me this evening.
    Few more bits ordered to tidy up rear end when comes home, not too long now fingers crossed.
    Got to get rear wiper arm as now got linkage for it.
    Was a bit of a bit of a problem with the paint code to start with, sticker was missing, so found code on internet, but was wrong, luckily returned as unknown, rather than the car ending up pink or something, seems the V was mistaken for an N when someone answered a question about jade green in an old post somewhere.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  13. dodgy

Picked car up yesterday, and ordered a few more bits that were missing or broken.
    Bit of reassembling to do, weather permitting

Attached Files:

erreesse and Savagesam like this.
  14. dodgy

Progress has been a little slow, but almost back together, arches to fit and inner covers, underseal, then set of bbs wheels off my white acquisition as then I'll keep the borbet ones. Jade green does look really nice. May get the twin lamp grille on it too yet.

Attached Files:

15. dodgy

Good days work this afternoon, got the green golf back together, undersealed and bbs wheels on it.
    Still have to fit gearchange kit so that reverse and first aren't a game of Russian roulette for my wife.
    Also fitted the engine undertray the guy we bought it off gave to us, he said that he's only ever seen one other and spent ages finding one.
    Scuttle tray is broken, so will probably pinch one from the white car and then replace eventually with a smooth one.
    Few little jobs to do inside, temp gauge still not working and digital clock is black, have a spare set of clocks, but non rev counter so can swap temp over, but open to suggestions on the lcd.

Attached Files:

16. dodgy

Been busy with the Audi and the mini, sold both of them so had to clean them out, hoover and box up all the spares I had to go with them.
    The one thing had chance to do on Allie's green golf between showers today was the bit I was not looking forward to do,
    Gear stick bush, could hit reverse without pushing it down. My good lady actually hadn't driven the car at all, and so today after helping me wiggle it for clearance, we put the new bush in, bolted back together and she has now gone for a little drive.

One thing we discovered though is reverse lights not working.
    Metered out the switch, all working fine, power at fuse, and that's ok, but no power supply at the switch end, I did jump live to the switch and they work.
    So possibly a break in the wire somewhere, still not got to bottom of temp gauge not working which also may be wire broken, next step investigate loom.

Attached Files:

17. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Did you buy the special tool?

18. dodgy

Got the alignment plate steel thing, all lined up.
    Good job done, Allie can now drive it without fear of hitting reverse by accident.