mk2 1.8 8v clutch/box problem

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 8volly, Sep 22, 2015.

1. 8volly New Member

Recently bought my first golf ( always had mk2/2f polos ) and as the clutch was slipping badly I replaced with a sachs 3 piece kit (210mm), new manual adjust clutch cable and put new bushes in the linkage as a few were missing..

Since doing the work, it appears the clutch isn't fully engaging, first and reverse from neutral at idle won't select, can get reverse but it crunches in. When stationary and in first with foot fully depressed on the clutch the car creeps forward slowly. I have tried tightening/slackening the cable with no luck. Clutch also seems so slip over 3/4 throttle sometimes too, as well as both output flanges from the box making a groaning sound. Taking the box off this weekend to have a proper look.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas before i poke around?

Thanks

2. blis Forum Member

There should be a few mm slop in the clutch cable when it's released.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Did the clutch fully disengage before the work was done?

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Taken from another thread of a similar nature. >>Hotgolf<<.

5. 8volly New Member

Thanks for the replies, clutch fully disengaged before work was done with an auto adjust cable, and 2 rubber bushes missing from the shift mech. I have read that thread before posting this, lifted the arm to 90 and tightened the cable so there is no slack and the arm does not drop. Clutch pedal is slightly higher than the brake pedal when disengaged. I know the gears are perfectly aligned too. Clutch is still not fully ENGAGING.

Gonna whip the box off now and see what's up

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Ok. Highlighting 'engaging' isn't going to fix things.

You say it creeps along when you depress the pedal , so the clutch isn't full dis-engaged( unclamping) but it also slips when it should be engaged ( your foot off and clamping the friction face)
    So, from what I can work out its not working either on or off.

If you are taking the box off and are going to reply take lots of pics. Without seeing it then it's hard to diagnose. Make sure the pressure plate is fully seated to the flywheel Nd the friction plate is in the right way around. Make sure there no oil contamination.
    Let's go from there and post as you go along :)

7. 8volly New Member

The filter housing was leaking so replaced the gasket this morning, before I did the clutch there was oil in the bell housing and when I've taken it off today again there's oil, hopefully by changing the gasket it'll solve that.
    The clutch is properly aligned too. Only thing I can think of is that the pin/rod that presses against the 'release bearing' isn't coming out far enough ? Haven't measured it but it could be the case? New to golfs so just working my head around it. Cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Hotgolf

Clean all the oil oh of the hell housing and clean the clutch down.
    Grab the rod and give a it a wiggle in place to see how worn the bush is. If it's floppy you'll need a bush and seal( see another thread within the last week for the eBay auction for them)
    The friction plate goes in with that face facing the gearbox. How's the centre plate looking that the rod pushes against?

Edited. Didn't make any bloody sense that second line lol

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  9. 8volly New Member

Ive cleaned all the oil etc out and sorted the oil leak (filter housing gasket)
    cant really make sense of the second sentence lol.. the centre plate is brand new, and can see that the rod is pushing dead centre on the plate..
    Ive found an 8v gti box that is supposedly sound so just gonna buy it and swap it over. I still think that theres something not quite right with the throw out rod on my box, although is does stick out exactly 24mm when the release arm is at 90, as stated on brokevw... polo's so much easier lol

10. Hotgolf

Polos and their plastic boxes!!?? Pants lol

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pop the green cap off and have a look. I fitted a 'good' mk2 gti box and the clutch wouldnt release at all. found a load of fat washers under the release arm, and the pushrod was in the shape of a mushroom either end :lol: fixed all of that and it drove terrible, drained the oil and it was metallic brown. oh dear...

12. 8volly New Member

Ill have a look under the green cap, wasnt sure if it just 'popped off' or was part of an entire unit. Tried loads of washers under the release arm with the auto adjust cable before changing to manual and no luck with that lol

nothin wrong with early polo boxes lol. so much simpler!

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can undo the bolts to remove the complete 5th gear housign if its easier, though ideally you woudl need a new gasket. may get away renewing? the green cap is cheap from gsf/ebay they usually get trashed when you remove

14. Hotgolf

Um.....no!

At the 9 o'clock position the rod isn't sticking out, it's just taking up the slack. It's from here up the rod starts to push out.
    This means if you have that much sticking out your clutch is disengaged.
    24mm out should be at full lift, about 11 o'clock position.

Early 084 boxes are t bad, later boxes are pretty crap. They lose bearing preload like a hooker loses her knickers!