mk2 1.8 8v pb turbo

Discussion in '8-valve' started by yrmk2, Nov 2, 2009.

1. yrmk2 Forum Member

i am planing a turbo conversion on my 8v mk2 gti pb.i have found a turbo kit in e-bay wich wil bold onmy car and there claiming 50bhp gains on 8psi boost.can anybody sugest a desend set of pistons for the car?i was thinking of g-60 pistons and head gasked and a megasquirt ecu....any ideas?i am aiming at 230-240bhp and i dont wnt to do an engine swap as it involves a lot of paperwork and time!

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you could use audi quattro pistons for the MB engine, TBH they are probably the same as PG pistons.

use any metal head gasket

Megasquirt would work.

This boost of power will take equal amounts of time, when compared to a full engine swap.

3. benny Forum Member

A proper job would be done with pistons, however, I'd stack 2 metal gaskets, it's an option anyway. I know of lots of people who have run that way.
    That said, if you're looking for 230+bhp, then you're going to be running more than 15psi of boost which is probably over the limit for safety with stacked gaskets.

I used to run a T3 0.42/0.48 '50 Trim' at 15 psi on a stock engine, it ran well, great for a road car! I'd say it was running over 200bhp - never dyno'd it though.

I used Megasquirt too. It's a great learning curve!

The gasket option is a cheap option for you especially if you only run 8psi.

:thumbup:

4. yrmk2 Forum Member

i am planing on unisg my stock pb block with g60 rods and pistons,g60 head polished and porded techtronics 260 cam and pulley gas flowed inlet,cosworth 803 green injectors(thing thet there 400cc good for 330-350bhp)3 bar mab sensor,costum exaust,the turbokit,a g60 steel head gasket and megasquirt ecu

5. benny Forum Member

Seems like a fair set up. Who makes the turbo?

6. alonzo Forum Member

@ Benny, What head gaskets do you reccomend and would you need to use better head bolts like APR or would the standard ones be ok if using a low boost.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Head gaskets would be G60 jobs. Std bolts and fastners fine from my experience.

8. yrmk2 Forum Member

if i do that setub do you have any idea what hp i will have? this will be my daily...do u have any sugestions?

9. andynotts77 Forum Member

hi mate I'm thinking of doing this... but cant find the turbo kit on ebay?? what did you enter into the search?? how much was it??

10. yrmk2 Forum Member

just vw 8v turbo.it was 780 and 194 postage

11. andynotts77 Forum Member

cheers mate

12. yrmk2 Forum Member

has anyone done something like that before?what kind of hp can i accept?found a set of jervey 45's and i am planing to do an air box and inlet to fit those too on the engine,and a set of 1.9 litre wiseco g-60 low comp pistons and while the engine is out im gonna have it balanced

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i wouldnt bother with the jenveys personally, the turbo will force the air thro, not so dramatic on a forced induction engine, when compared to NA

14. yrmk2 Forum Member

sound sooooo goooood tho!

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you wont get the same sound with a plenum and a turbo

16. yrmk2 Forum Member

damm!!!

17. bootboy Forum Member

didnt think g60 pistons/rods etc could be used within a standard 8v bottom end?

Ive been looking into this as Ive got a 8v turbo/manifold sitting in my shed

18. yrmk2 Forum Member

what pistons would u recomend for the conversion?will the rods hold?

19. matt_goodwin New Member

how did you get on with the conversion? do a diry with pics and keep us posted...