Mk2 1.8t with a/c ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Donnymk2, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Found a couple of threads with a mention of this, but no follow ups! Just blown up my 16v & decided to go down the 1.8t route now & I've got a couple of mk2 aircon systems kicking around & as most of the 1.8t's come with the pump thought I might have a go at fitting it at the same time! Anyone actually done this succesfully?? meaning finding room for the intercooler? custom a/c pipes? & the fact that the mk2 box uses the engine vac to work?

Any thoughts appreciated!!
    (Knowledge preffered:) )

2. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

3. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Holy crap!! :o Thats a bit more ambitious than I'm being! If you can manage all that I'm going to look really stupid (more so than normal)if I can't figure this out [:$] I'm going to have to raise my game!! Will definitely follow the build!! Thought I might have to cut some lumps out of the slam panel/bumper, going to have to take a welding course aswell!!!

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi yeah i am doing a 18t with mk2 aircon and getting som custom pipes made up from the dash part to the pump , but champo has been looking at using a mk3 bits which fit the pump, vacum system is easy to fit , the bently has loads of detail on this and all the pipe colour keys and wiring diagrams

SO far i have a BAM and mk2 factory air-con all installed, using a mk3 VR6 compressor fits the 1.8t, using a rallye intercooler and rallye radiator so the condenser is going to be fun to squeeze in there factory setup it uses the same location plate

PABs is looking good !!

5. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Thanks boys for your kind words...

Do you think I might get away with Mk3 Pipes??

My set up is totally Mk4.
    Pump/Condensor/Air box.

Are the Mk3 pipe fittings the same? Anyone got any pics?

PAB

6. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

I was led to believe that vag use the same conectors for all the r134a pipes, but not confirmed!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  7. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

the pumps have different connectors from the mk2 to the later mk3s and 1.8T , 1.8T pumps i think are all the same which is the same as mk3

8. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

So Mk3-1.8t same?
    Mk2 useless?

I'm still in the thought processes with mine, hoping to use the standard mk2 condenser with a rad I got from a passat (I think) same size as the standard mk2 a/c rad (bit taller) but hoses on opposite side like the 1.3 rad & using the original 1.8t pump if poss! Then a front mount intercooler with the 2 pipes on the drivers side (not found yet) but forge do a kit for the mk4 like it but over 900-, must be something else out there, weekend going round breakers yards again (missus will be pleased:lol:)