Mk2 16 valve wiper mechanism

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by 6Veedubaddict6, Mar 30, 2021.

1. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Hi All
    I know this may be an easy fix but before I start I was just looking for some advice.
    My mk2 came with the cheap single wiper conversion. I have never really liked it and want to change it back to two wipers as standard.
    Will I need to buy a new mechanism or is it possible to just fix the existing one back to the way it was?
    Thanks in advance
    Kind Regards
    Calvin

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

possible, but usually the existing mech is modified to make it work. can you have a look under the scuttle to see what you have? not hard to get all the bits you need from a breaker, jkust note the early ones are LHD wipers, and in 1989 the wiper spline size also changed. As long as you get the right wiper arms to match the splines it doesnt matter what age the donor is though

main thing is the hole is still there for the other wiper arm, if not you';ll have to get measurements from another car and carefully drill a new hole into it

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I presume RJ, all wiper mechs are in the same in any given year, big block, small block, diesel etc?

Any known upgrades, like motors from a newer / different model?

4. rubjonny

yes they arent specific to model, just the age differences I mention plus RHD and LHD differ. so a LHD 91 1.3 mech is identical to a G60 one, RHD 1.6 same as a RHD 16v etc :)

5. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Hi thanks for your swift replys.
    The only problem I thought of was that to achieve this some people bend one of the arms on the mechanism to achieve as much of a wiper area as possible with a single wiper. Would I just be better off buying a new mechanism rather than trying to fix the existing one? Don't want my wipers flying off the side of the car haha.
    Thanks very much
    Kind Regards
    Calvin

6. rubjonny

yeah I would have thought you'll need a new mech, worth having a look but plan for the worst hope for the best as they say

7. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Haha yes that's what I thought but just interesting to speak with you guys just to make sure I am not wasting money on parts I don't need.
    Thabks for you help I will proceed with this once I do my new brakes and suspension.
    Oh and just to let you know my 6a conversion engine is now up and running [:D]