Mk2 16v central locking not working...

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dipesh51, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Hi All..

Its been a while since my central locking hasnt been working.. but now im working on the car, i want everything perfect.. so the problem i have is that the Driver door works, but none of the others, not the petrol cap or the other side, i have replaced the pump, checked the tubing, and now have just ordered a new central locking module... Will this fix it?? any other suggestions??

Thanks Guys..

2. Dipesh51 Forum Member

No suggestions????

3. blighty Forum Member

From what you are describing, mine is occasionally the same. All I have to do to get mine to work is to remove door card, feel up inside the door (cant see so it needs to be done by feel) and find where the rod for the door handle comes down, and on the back of the locking mech on the door itself will be a small rod and I simply put the bit back onto the rod (so it reconnects the central locking unit to the drivers door so to speak) and it works. Bit fiddly the first time, but once you have done it once if/when it comes off again its a 2 minute job. (I tend to find that if I lock then unlock the car from inside the car it pulls it off, and when I dont lock/unlock the car from inside it stays on fine with no problems)

Hopefully this is all thats wrong with yours and hopefully I have explained it well enough :)

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Technical questions should be posted in the technical sections.

5. jronnquist New Member

The driver side door will always work because it's entirely mechanical. There is a rod running from the door lock to an actuator that is wired to the pump. If turning the key or pushing the door peg up and down does not activate the pump, the actuator is either not mechanically connected or is broken. Take off door panel and check that the rod runs down to and is connected to the actuator. If it is then the problem is the actuator itself. Most likely the rod has snapped internaly. It will look fine but when you remove the rubber seal and pull out the rod you will probably find it has broken off. Once you have it off you can push and pull the other end of the rod and it will activate the pump.

Solution: Ebay and replace