Mk2 16v exhaust - expensive

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by stevo_76, Apr 18, 2012.

1. stevo_76 New Member

Can anybody please recommend an aftermarket exhaust for a mk2 golf gti 16v.

It's the non cat version with twin front downpipe.

I have been quoted up to 650 (!) from the high street independant garages, which seems a little steep for a mild steel replacement.

I want the exhaust to look and sound standard, but by ant stretch this is a lot of money for a car at best worth a couple of grand.

Ideal would be stainless steel but the ones I have seen are too loud and look non-standard.

Cheers

stevo_76

2. joescales Forum Member

I have a TSR 4-1 Manifold and a 2 box Jetex SS system have not looked back, would not change it for anything, got it all fitted at TSR too top staff down there can not recommend them and those products highly enough plus was putting out around 150bhp with just that and a K&N filter

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

My 3 box jetex stainless isn't very loud.

Looks pretty standard bar coming out straight rather than at an angle

4. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Can you not still get genuine exhaust bits? They will be expensive for sure but not 650 i wouldnt have thought? I seem to remember the back box was about 125 when I last asked so I got an ernst one for 50 from GSF - looks and sounds the same to me.

Cheers

Dan

5. Admin Guest

Ditto :thumbup:

6. somafunk Forum Member

Tsr (miltek) manifold and 3 box jetex system on mine as well, very happy with it but it does weigh quite a bit so i had to fit n' weld strengthened exhaust mounts to carry it as the 28yr old original mounts snapped off under the strain.

7. thegave Forum Member

Three-box mild steel Jetex 2.5" sounds great but need chain hangers.

Around the 300 mark I think.

8. Pauly.W New Member

Mine has a full miltek system on it, from manifold back. I dont think miltek do these now for the mk2, but I think they should have, its sounds gorgeous! Only thing is im not 100% keen on the tips.

9. stevo_76 New Member

Thanks for the posts guys.

I have managed to get the price down to below 400 for a fitted standard exhaust from the manifold back, and getting it done next week.

Front pipe the main cost 180 supply only for this part the other boxes and tail pipe were quite reasonable in the end. By the look of it the one on the car has been patched up over the years so hopefully will last a while!

Cheers

10. danster Forum Addict

400 :o
    Are they quoting for a genuine VW system at that price?