MK2 16v Gti Sun Roof Leaks...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by scooby__doo, Nov 21, 2007.

1. scooby__doo Forum Member

Hi all I have a 1989 mk2 golf gti 16v. The last couple of days have been really rainy here and the water has come through a leak in my sun roof and soaked the drivers seat! Not good.

The leak has been getting steadily worse to be honest as I have noticed it before after leaving the car wash.

Anyway is this an easy/cheap problem I can fix by myself or is it a job for the local garage I use and what are they likely to charge me?

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

several things to check

- open the sunroof and check ther is no debris in the way of the gulleys

- with a thin rod poke it down the hole at the front right hand and left hand corners

- check the condition of the seal round the sunroof

- and check it fits with no gaps and is flush with the roof

any of these could cause leakin

nothin quite like a wet ass all the way to work :clap:

3. scooby__doo Forum Member

The seal around the sun roof seems ok, it fits flush with no gaps (its factory fitted and part of the original car). The water seems to gather in the edges to the left and the right and causes a small bulge visible in the interior material when the roof is closed rather like a leaking ceiling

With this thin rod idea, are these drainage holes that may be blocked?

4. The interior lining material of the the sunroof wraps around the edge of the sunroof and is secured by glue. This glue eventually gives way causing the wrapped-around segments of lining to come away from their original positions, and into contact with the outer/upper part of the sunroof. Water then magically finds its way in from the outside where it didn't before.

Re-glue the edges of the interior lining and your leak should disappear straight away. Popping out the sunroof is essential for a proper job but is fairly easy to DIY, all you need is a screwdriver IIRC.

Dex :)

5. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

With this thin rod idea, are these drainage holes that may be blocked?[/QUOTE]

yup they may be, its defo worth checkin water shouldnt be gathering at all

also DEX may be right that stupid bit of roof lining on the sunroof could well need some attension you can pull it off with the roof half open as it is held with metal push in clips a swift tug is all thats required

takin the sunroof out is defo a two man job unless damaging paint doesnt bother you

6. Mikey Forum Member

Mine used to leak & I discovered that the rear drainage tubes were slightly blocked.

I used a length of flexible wire to unblock them (I used some mig welder liner tube, but you could usesome bike brake cable or accelerator cable)

The front 2 are easy to spot once the sunroof is open (they come out at the rear of the front wings).The rear tubes aren't as easy to spot, but they exit through the rear 3/4 panel behind the bumper. I removed the rear bumper & ran the wire backwards towards the sunroof

7. scooby__doo Forum Member

Thanks to you all for some very helpful useful and easy to try tips. Hopefully one of these will sort the problem and I can carry on driving with a dry ass!

Think the drainage problem sounds the likely culprit so I will try to locate these holes and attempt to unblock them.

Will post back and let anyone whose intrested know the outcome.

8. scooby__doo Forum Member

oh yea any other suggstions gratefully received.

9. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

it wouldn't happen to an 8v [:D]

10. scooby__doo Forum Member

Maybe not.

However what would happen to an 8v is being left in a swirl of my exhaust smoke! lol

Oh dear what have I started ??

11. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

ha ha.

i was only being sarcastic, it's my form of humour.

my sunroof used to leak when it rained heavy and it was because it wasn't sat fully flush on one side.

12. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

my mk2 is pre sunroof :lol: 1984 get in!:clap:

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I had a similar problem & it turned out that the sunroof just needed adjusting, it's an easy job (must be if I did it) & as someone said earlier only requires a screwdriver.
    I would def. remove the raer bumper to clear the rear drain tubes cos you can't see the holes from the roof end. I just shoved some thick speaker cable through.

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the sunroof seal isnt designed to be watertight, so if its leaking into the car its either the lining thasts causing a 'wick' effect as sinisterdexter said, or the drains are blocked :)
    The fropnt tubes exit into the front wings via a tube that passes thru a gap between the wing & chassis. If the wing has been replaced sometimes it ends up being pinched between the wing & body work, so check the front door jambs on both sides while you're there :)