Mk2 16V Instrument Flex Circuit Broken

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by luc16v, May 24, 2015.

1. luc16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hi All,
    Bit of a problem with the flex circuit on the back of the instrument pod in my 1990 Mk2 Golf 16V.

I had to take the pod out out to replace the speedo cable, and in the process I must have caught the flex circuit against the dashboard and broken it. In fact there was already a previous repair there so I guess it was weak anyway.

So now I need to repair the circuit or find a new one (the fuel gauge isn't working,probably the temp gauge too), or even a decent second hand pod. It is very fine wiring so I don't want to make a mess of it.

Does anyone know of a good company to repair these circuits, or a way to do it yourself, or even a source of a new circuit or pod?

My car is a very late Mk2 with the 160 clock and only one multiconnector on the bottom face. Part number 191 919 035 GA The damage is around the voltage regulator.

I'm based in the North Essex and the Maidenhead areas

Cheers
    Paul

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I haven't a cluster with me right now to look, but I would have thought it'd be straightforward to place repair wires between appropriate solder pads at either end of the traces. It could also be possible to scrape back the coating and solder directly to the copper traces. If you cannot get hold of a replacement and need someone to repair it for you, I don't mind having a look.

3. luc16v Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Trev,
    I admire your confidence in my soldering
    I'll be in touch if I don't have the same confidence.
    Paul