mk2 16v jittery misfire

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Paulc, Aug 7, 2006.

1. toddygti Forum Member

Fuel Return

Get a garage to check the return pipe. Nevre play with fuel pipes unless your completely confident you know what you're doing.

2. sdfordyce1978 Forum Member

Hi guys, my old 8v had a similar problem as your having and it drove me crazy. In the end I replaced my Warm up Regulator, its the part with two small fuel lines going to it bolted onto the front of block with two Hex head bolts, managed to get the part from some online breakers.

It was stuck in the cold postion so was overfuelling - the part only cost about 10 and it completeally transformed the way the car ran, so its worth a try - hope its of some help!!

3. Paulc Forum Member

thanks for the advice a warm up regulator is the next thing to try, unfortunatly i got outbid on the one i was wathcing on ebay

I believe they are all standard so if anyone has a good condition one then please pm me!

fuel lines i think i'll leave to last ask the car does idle and drive fine just in a narrow band its occuring.

The spark plugs are the 3 pin bosch ones from VW, the dizzy cap was from VW, rotor arm from VW, the dizzy was from Ebay and is Bosch variety.

ive noticed that the ends of my leads are rather "wet" oily rather than just dirty. but the bit that connects with the plug looks clean. does this just mean my rocker cover is a poor fit??

PAUL

4. RobC Forum Member

My lead ends were exactly the same, absolutely covered in oil. It didn't seem to affect the way the car ran though. Sounds like the inner rocker cover gasket has gone, just replaced mine whilst doing the tappets. Easy job and it's solved the problem.

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It can effect the way the car runs if it leaks onto the plugs - but not normally in the way you describe......

6. Paulc Forum Member

no its not on the plus. I would have bought new leads but 80 is ridiculous and they dont look too bad. also, once again the car runs ok on the motorway.

tappets are something im going to be looking at soon (god help me on a 16V!!!) so i'll try and ensure the rocker gasket seals in the future!

on the mission of getting a WUR now!!

PAUL

7. Steve B Forum Junkie

you said you got a new fuel pump but id you get a new lisft pump i seem to remeber there are two units in the mk2 right ?

8. gti_kev Forum Member

Yep the lift pump caught me out on my first Golf, changed all the fuel pipes, main pump, filter and i still had a problem after 20 mins of running and it was the lift pump, i spent over 200 and it was a damn 18 lift pump!

9. Paulc Forum Member

lol i never replaced the fuel pump on mine. dont think thats the problem as its can do 100mph not a problem.also it does it from the word go, whether its 20mins down the line or 30 secs after starting

10. gti_kev Forum Member

The pumps can be very intermittant, i would not rule them out just yet! there is probablly a test for these, someone else may know?

11. sdfordyce1978 Forum Member

Hi Paul, Just thoght I woul let you know there is a Warm Up Regulator going on EBay - got about 3 days left, if you can wait that long!!
    Hope it helps

12. franmav4 New Member

Hey PaulC,

I think we may have a similar problem - 2k rpm is where the problem is right. Been bothering me every day for two months.

- Any gear reaching 2k rpm area is rough and juddery especially in first making driving uncomfortable. Before and after 2k rpm drives fine.

- holding the revs at 2k rpm at a stand still/neutral causes the engine to bounce from 1.5k to 2k as if it is hitting the rev limit.

- The problem would appear after the engine is 20% warmed up.

So far I have thought of just about everything through many things and though my ISV was fine and buzzing/cleaned etc, I thought i'd try another one (old one) for the hell of it this afternoon and the problem just dissapeared. Weird huh. Wouldn't have thought that it would be the cause. Maybe the wiring to it perhaps?

Test your WUR with a multi meter, I read somewhere that it should read between 20-26ohms to be working fine??. Mine reads 23ohms.

I've seen others 16v owners having a similar 2k rpm misfirey / jitter / judder / kangaroo bug on the forum and hope someone can shed some light once and for all.

==================
    K-Jet ABF 165.1Bhp 144lb/f
    ==================

13. gti_kev Forum Member

That sounds like your ISV Module behind the dash is bust! - i had similar problems, and it was this!

14. franmav4 New Member

the 2k rpm bug it must be related to the isv system mine is running great again! - must have been a faulty isv - i had a spare in my boot for a year and only thought of trying it yesterday!

15. Paulc Forum Member

dude i will look at doing this asap!!

thanks for the advice, the ISV and the ecu (or what is often referred to as the ecu) are the only two things left!

althought the ISV has been cleaned and appears to work ok ill give it a go!!

16. mark25 Forum Junkie

Get some single electrode plugs and gap them 0.1 mm less than the minimum specified gap and see if that helps.

17. franmav4 New Member

Hi PaulC

Well the kangaroo thing came back today - i thought it was a bit strange in the begining being the isv :(

but try this:

At the back of the air metre under the plastic inlet pipe, one of the tiny vacuum pipes plugs into this grey plunger thing (If anyone can tell me the name of this and its purpose then it would be great). This seems to be the cause or what ever controls it.

Holding the revs at 2k rpm at a stand still, you can hear the air flap bouncing causing the engine to go up and down. Vroom-Vroom-Vroom which is the problem.

If I unplug the vacuum pipe from this thing and put a screw to block the pipe, then then 2k rpm kangaroo stops. Plug it back in then it starts again.

I think this device is supposed to dump the pressure of the inlet when you take your foot off the pedal to drop the air flap to idle fueling rate.

I'm driving with out it connected now and it seems to be ok now. I only notice a slight pull when using engine braking, but I guess thats what that grey thing is supposed cut the fuel. I try pluging it back it at different temperatures now and then and the problem returns - definitely the most logical cause.

Any advise would be great from here.

================
    ABF KR 165.1Bhp 144l/ft
    ================

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you mean the big plastic flap in the bottom half of the airbox? If so this is just the warm air feed, you can leave this unplugged :)

19. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I've only skimmed through this page but I think the grey thing franmav4 is referring to is the over-run cut off valve located just behind the airbox and connected to the main air trunking plus a vacuum line or two :)

20. gti_kev Forum Member

Try leaving the vac pipe in and disconnect the eletrical connection to it! if this seems to cure it, then as i said above it's the ISV Module!