Mk2 16v prices

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Scutler, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Scutler Forum Member

In an ideal world want a completely stock 16v, have had a 20v mk2 and just didnt like the messing about with converted parts ect. would be happy with an untidy original one that shows its age and patina rather than one thats had lots and lots of work and unsure on what its hiding.

viewed this late last night and it seems really solid,has had work on the paint ect but 140k with mot`s to prove and moderate history is in its favour but 9 owners is not. Price wise is mainly putting me off but then have seen some sheds for the same money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-G...1179821522422982274&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=4&

2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

keep looking and keep your whits about you, I picked up a small bumper, 3 owner 110k 16v last weekend, a HUGE wedge of history, and lots of extra like leccy windows, leccy mirrors and minty fresh leather for a very reasonable price.. it have 3 small rust scabs and needs the gearbox linkage setting up, and the engine setting up... set the gearbox up now and I can get all the gears, so just the engine to tweak to night..

but for most you will be looking for a fair wedge of cash... the problem is there are very few stock ones left, and even less in mint condition!

3. Chrisrpal Events Team

Yeah 9 owners is alot. Who knows someone on the club forum might sell one you never know. Keep looking........

4. dub303 Forum Member

I do wonder about number of owners. We all want 'one lady owner' when buying, but women bump into things and don't bother cleaning or fixing them!... OK, my real 'wonder' is that maybe it's not such a bad thing to have many previous owners. Generally when we buy a car, we are likely to fix things that need doing during the 'honeymoon' period with the view that it will now not need anything doing for a while. Where as a car we have got bored of over 6 or so years might have a list of things that need doing.

Just a thought, as my mk4 that I have had for 7 years needs loads of things sorting, where as my mk2 of 2 years ownership is getting up to spec now.

5. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

16v

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

9 owners isn't a huge amount on a mk2, think of how old it is now!

I'd avoid a "one lady owner" car at all costs, most of the lady owner cars that come into work have all kinds of things neglected, I wonder how they're still on the road!

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

9 owners? my last mk2 which I have just sold to my bro is now on 19 I think lol, if the cars clean a higher number of owners doesnt matter.. (having said that my new one has had 3 oowners before me..)

8. Scutler Forum Member

yeah condition is key but as I want a long term car to fully restore i`d like lower owner`s and miles..........

sure someone has a gem knocking around....lol

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

if your restoring it what does it matter? the body work on my old mk2 with 180k on it was in just as good a condition with regards to rust as my 111k one with 3 owners. you might also be better looking for a lower spec model, theres still a few clean 1.3 and 1.6 cars around with older owners who have had them along time..gti's tend to be a young thing, or a mid life crisis so to speak..so kept for a while then sold on when the phase has passed.

Ill sell you mine on for a reasonable price.....;)

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Narrowing your search to a MK2 with low owners is pointless. I don't understand why some people insist on it. I can kind of understand the reasoning behind it, but really you should be judging the quality of the car by actually using your eyes to look at signs of repair to bodywork, signs of repairs at panel seams, signs of rust underneath flaking underseal, and so on and on and on.

11. Scutler Forum Member

think its the whole package i`m getting at, low owners/good miles and solid shell... age related patina is ok but poor repairs and dodgy upgrades are not.

yes higher mileage ones can be great cars as long as they have not been messed with.

12. lol thanks dub303 i may rule now if im the only plonker running blues. ;)

13. Andy P Forum Member

Clean small bumper 3 door 16v's are very hard to find, almost non existent.

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

^ this
    When you get a car you tend to fix all the little bits, but when you've had it a while it starts to get neglected.

Buy on condition not amount of owners. Mines had 9 previous owners and it's in pretty good condition.

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

there are some around...and I have put mine up on a couple of forums just to test the water...i really miss the shove in the back from a turbo

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I might be driving another Mk2 16v by the end of the week! ;)

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Sell you a nice Helios blue one lol, just in time for curby too

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Nah, went to see a Royal Blue GTI with an ABF conversion, but it had WAY too many issues for me.

Probably just going to get a Clio 172/182 instead. Too many moon and back Mk2s around with scene tax applied. Ive seen a nice local Clio 172 with 59k miles for only just over 2k.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  19. ianb Forum Member

I maybe selling my MK2 in the near future.

Here's a link to it:http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...2-16V-Toy-my-other-tasty-Vee-Dubs!&highlight=

This is the very car featured in the Tim Stiles (TSR) Golf tuning guide by Haynes books.

It was also featured in VW / Audi car years ago when I first bought the car.......1997!!

It is has been somewhat of an icon on the track and tuning scene for many years and it heralds fronm a time when all of the big four were tuning them ie AmD, BR Motorsport, GTI Engineering and Tim Stiles Racing.

It has been suitably restored 2 years ago and is in lovely condition and has just been MOT'd. Suffice to say this will be a rare opprotunity to buy some history and a very well developed car. It won't be cheap though!

Ian

20. Scutler Forum Member

pm me what price your thinking of then please mate