Mk2 16v rough running under load

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Paul92, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Paul92 New Member

Hi there my 16v mk2 is running rough under load it starts and drives just like usual but when u go more than half throttle it starts playing up.
    I have replaced:
    Dizzy
    Rotor arm
    Dizzy cap
    Leads
    Spark plugs
    Fuel filter
    Coil
    All of these where the guenine parts or the best u can get because i dont like cheap copy parts haha. I also done a compression test and all was very good. Any advice would help massively thanks in advance
    Paul

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Check the cabling to the in tank fuel liftpump and the pump itself.

Is the high pressure pump noisy ?

Throttle cable OK between pedal and throttle body ?

3. Paul92 New Member

The pump has only been noisy once in the summer i got stuck in traffic and i think it got a little hot and died but i left it for 10 mins and was fine again
    The throttle cable is fine a wee bit stiff but ok

4. Chambo

Chambo New Member

Simple check worth doing is look at the earth strap between the engine/box and chassis is it poor or loose? Failing that I'd be looking at the fuel pump it could be struggling under load but ok at low rpm also fuel filter could be rank if your running one. Maybe give the injectors a clean if no joy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

it could be a few things
    i'd check the in tank lift pump
    when mine went it would bog down when you booted it relatively cheap 20 or so worth just changing it for peace of mind
    plus if you find out later it's the main pump you've already done it as if you do change the main pump it's advisable change the lift pump at the same time

if it's the injectors that feels more like a misfire worth checking the spray patterns

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st thing if u suspect lifter pump is unplug the main pump under the car then turn the key 1 click, you should hear the lifter prime. if not, its dead or wire issue. though even if it makes a noise it could still be dead to check for that pop feed line off and run a hose from it to a bucket then prime again to make sure it actually sprays fuel

then have a read in here:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?195423

7. Paul92 New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback i will check everything tonight ??