Mk2 16v turbo

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by geeteethree, Aug 17, 2010.

1. geeteethree Forum Member

Since buying a daily driver earlier in the year, my Golf has sat brooding in my drive, with the intention of lavishing some tlc on it. So far I've collected some parts, but the real holdup is the construction of my garage to perform said work.

Anyway, it moved for the first time in months today, also the first time since fitting new wheels. Seemed an opportune time for some pics, not very good phone camera ones though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pigsty of an antiquated fueling system, needs updated

[​IMG]
    eek, rusty disks. Calipers required shim spacers to fit the wheels, but so much prettier (and lighter) than the old Mille Miglias[xx(]

Hopefully some progress before the year is out

Cheers, Grant

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. clart Forum Member

Nice looking car!!

You going digifant or custom management??

3. eatonmk2 Forum Member

That's a very clean mk2. Nice!

4. thegave Forum Member

K-Star?

5. geeteethree Forum Member

Yeah, currently K-Star running additional 4 injectors. The kit started with a 5th injector, but was running lean top end and melted a few pistons. The extra rail running four injectors was Vince's solution.

Really need to hook up my AFR gauge and see what happens through the rev range. Hugely thirsty, and is hesitant on high boost. EFI would be ideal, my soldering skills aren't up to making my own Megasquirt ecu though.

It'll be "relaxing" for a while yet though, so no rush.

cheers, Grant

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Looks very nice.
    I miss my Stealth Turbo car. :(

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The gave has a very very clean one that is being updated with EFI ;).

8. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

loving the black wheels with the body colour.

9. geeteethree Forum Member

Awesome, inspiration and guidance would be gratefully received :thumbup:. Will there be a thread?

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That is up to the gave.

K-jet + K star is a work around to what that TT powertrain can really do. Convert to a stanalone and for the same boost set piont, whole different ballgame.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hey Grant - I've heard a bit about this car from Dr Danny of the frozen North. Looks good!

From what I hear from ^certain people^ , the Megasquirt install is well worth doing on that spec of car, and having seen the results on my own car, I'm doubly convinced. I'd be very interested to see the results on thegave's car, and need to get mine on the rollers for a before/after number, and bit of fine tuning.

Kjet was pretty good for it's time (compared to various mechanical injection systems), but that time is 20+ years in the past, and it was really designed as an economy improvement over Bosch Mechanical Injection, around the time of the fuel crisis in the '70s (For Example: Porsche 911s went from 10s to 20s mpg on it, almost overnight).

There are plenty of options that don't involve building your own ECU - either on Megasquirt, DTA, or one of the other after market options. With a fuel rail, injectors, FPR, TPS, temp sensors, and a replacement air filter, you'd be pretty much there with the parts for the conversion, other than the ECU and loom, obviously. (unless there's some fancy boost shizzle you need - I don't pretend to understand that stuff!). In fact, I know a fella near you that might have some of those bits. ;)

12. geeteethree Forum Member

Hey Mike, was formulating a plan with our Danster this very day, and acquisition of some parts to make it happen. A wealth of knowledge and experience, which I'd be lost without[:*:]

I really am sold on the idea of megasquirt, will take quite a bit of adaption to the inlet manifold depending on what parts can be sourced. Much against sense and logic, one part of me would like to keep the bunch-of-bananas inlet manifold. But keeping that would require getting hold of an Audi 16V auto throttle body [:s]
    Alternatively, as Dan recommends, fabricating a short inlet manifold ala the 20VT and reshuffling the charge pipes and ancillaries.
    Again, no rush, and the chassis refurb will take precedence.

Off to search ARB options, hmm Eibach or H&R???

Cheers, Grant

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Beast!! Love it!!!

14. thegave Forum Member

TPS can be mounted to some KR-era 16v throttle bodies, I believe drunkenalan did this, or you can make your own TPS; details here.

I'm keeping the 50mm inlet manifold, just for sheer cool points and that unbeatable "stock" look.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

How's yours running now, Gav? Let's see some pics and pub numbers!

16. geeteethree Forum Member

Thanks for the link. I will have to swap the lower inlet manifold as the bosses for the existing additional injectors have been drilled into it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress

cheers, Grant

17. thegave Forum Member

Don't forget one of these.

Did you do the 9a swap yourself before you had the Stealth kit fitted or is it an overbored KR?

Mike, pub numbers will come when it hits the rollers, after I get back from holiday.

18. geeteethree Forum Member

On a similar note, Tshirt2k has sorted me out with one of these, as you may have encountered, these inlet manifolds soak up a lot of heat from the head when the engine is on song

[​IMG]

The 9a swap was done by Stealth over ten years ago, as a result of the multiple (seperate) melted piston incidents. As one of the first to get the conversions, the car was a bit of a lab rat to resolve the lean fuelling. After a susequent rebuild (2003 iirc), the pistons were replaced with the forged low compression pistons from Bahn Brenner. The original turbo installation dates back to about 1997.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  19. thegave Forum Member

Yep mine is waiting for me in the porter's lodge.

Are you still using the 2E rods or forged?

20. geeteethree Forum Member

[​IMG]

Winter tinkering has begun, makes such a difference not working on a gravel driveway.

I'll be (attempting) tackling rear axle refurb, suspension and anti-roll bars, and generally poking about underneath.:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011