mk2 16v uprated flywheel bolts..

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by chrismc, Feb 28, 2006.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Its a strange one...

The O.E bolts are just not up to the job...all have snapped in the same place as per pic.

I think adding dowells should help & ive never felt the car has ever had an engine/flywheel balance issue previously..

Would be nice to use some better bolts though [:s]

[​IMG]

2. Dub Nutta Forum Member

It's a shear force that's breaking the bolts rather than a tensile force. A 12.9 tensile bolt sill be a bit better but you need to be looking at either using a larger diameter bolt is posible or adding more dowels to the flywheel.

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Drill and tap it out to use a larger bolt of a 12.9 and fit some more dowels, you won't regret it.
    Do it with the pressure plateflywheel together though, so you know everything is going to stay lined up.

4. rradogolfman Forum Member

maybe some 12.9 M8 allen bolts as you said then,, hmm maybe mr macca will be buying me a new m8x1.25 tap then ;):lol::)

5. Cheers for the info, Broke - fuck 15 FtLbs, I'll just wind them up a good bit tighter than normal to be sure!

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

How hard is the flywheel? May go 8mm 12.9 on mine the next time it`s out. I don`t know what you guys do to your g/boxes, I`m running a Helix paddle in mine and give it grief (100k miles) and it`s been fine. I`m obviously not trying hard enough [:$] .

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

Well my flywheel now has 4 extra dowells thanks to rradogolfman ;)

Will go back together with standard bolts (loctited this time [:$] )

Confident that the extra dowells will do the job without the need for beefier bolts ;)

8. I was working for a few months on a near 300 acre site, with wide, flat tarmac roads and no other road users allowed in. So you can imagine the abuse the gearboxes went through....... [:s] :lol:

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Fair enough, your own private race track [:D]

10. rradogolfman Forum Member

No problem Macca ;):)

11. Golden Forum Junkie

Just to back up what Broke said, these bolts are not stretch and are reusable.

I've never torqued them [:$], just done them up by hand with a 3/8 ratchet, never had one come loose!

12. rradogolfman Forum Member

chris mc`s was not a prob with them coming loose,, just a prob with them snapping due to the shear force between the intertia of the rotating flywheel and the engines rising and falling revs,,
    but as you say good idea to wang a little more torque on them and a dab of red loctite whist your in there ;)

13. Golden Forum Junkie

Sorry that should say "I've never torqued them , just done them up by hand with a 3/8 ratchet, never had one come loose or snap!" :)

14. Hotgolf

I've got to ask but did chris's dowels shear or bend as well?
    If they haven't, then it's more likely to be from over tightening. If it was due to the roational forces then there would be evidence of this by there being damage to the dowels.
    The dowels are a very hard material compared to the bolts used as they are made from a sprung steel but there would still be signs of damage.

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yes...one of the O.E flywheel dowels was dead...looked like it had bent & then fallen out! The other was OK though.

Flywheel bolts were replaced last year when I blew the Helix paddle friction disc. Standard torque but no loctite [:s] [:$]

Golden.....I suspect the combination of nearly 200BHP & 7700rpm through an 020 flywheel & clutch is the reason for failure.....along with my missed (then brutal) gearchange [:$]

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

With all due respect as Chris said, his old Jetta never had any of these probs and I'd guess it had a bit more power than B6.

He did 'a lot' of track days too.

17. Hotgolf

Fingers crossed then mate the extra dowels will do the trick, but I've had gone for larger stronger bolts too just to be on the safe side.

18. chrismc Forum Junkie

Who knows mate... [:^(]

The new "post-map" revvier nature cant have helped, & im guessing the shock load from my brutal gearchange may have been enough to tip it over the edge [:s]

Shall be a "bit more careful" now [:$] Getting too old to p*ss about with gearboxes [8(]

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If you've Loctited them up, then fingers crossed and all shall be well. Bolts coming loose play havoc (shear forces?).

Keep and ear on it - main thing is the motor should be ok. Couple of engines I know destroyed themselves when the flywheels came off - cracks block, twists crank etc. Not pleasant.

20. madmk4 Forum Member