Mk2 2.0 16v or E30 325i Sport?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Stu, Feb 23, 2007.

1. turbotommy Forum Member

Oh!
    If your going to the ring this year it'll be there if you want a passenger lap or 2? along with a (should be) sorted M3 GT.

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

That suspension setup on the E30 sounds very good indeed Tommy... but I shouldn't be thinking about mods for a car I don't even own (yet!) should I...? Tempting though... :p

As for the 'Ring, yes - I'll hopefully be out there in late June, maybe see you there. I should be in my Mk2 and my mate should have this E30 there all being well so it'll be nice to compare the two :)

3. turbotommy Forum Member

Cool! remind me nearer the time and i'll sort out some laps for you in it and some other fast/sorted cars :-)
    I know what you mean about not owning it yet but wait until you get a ride in this E30 & you'll know what i mean!
    Cheer's
    Tommy.

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Tommy - will do! [:D]

5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

The BMW has a 6 cylinder engine. Ugh.
    The only real BMW is the 2.3 16v M3. Or of course a Merc 190 2.5 16v.
    But LHD only. Their excuse was a, RHD car would have lost 5 bhp, what a sad excuse. No respect for their RHD customers.
    A bit like VW with lhd only G60s and Rallyes.

6. Dave

Not forgetting the LHD only GT Syncros.

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

ChrisP - how are you getting on with your Beemer?

I now have this E30 on loan from my mate and have been doing some test driving. It has a totally different feel to it than the Golf, if I'm honest, it doesn't feel quite as quick accelerating from a standing start to say 50 or 60mph as it's pretty long geared. That said once you get to motorway speeds it's awesome and it's such good fun to drive.

I have no doubt one of these would be far quicker than a standard Mk2 16v and it certainly makes a much better noise!

Taking it easy so far as I'm not used to RWD but it's looking very tempting so far, just not sure I'd be able to part with the Golf so trying to work out a way to keep all the cars, oh dear... :p

8. Dave

I apologise for my previous ingenuous reply.
    I have a hang up with 6 cylinder engines, not even sure I likes 5s.
    My daughter had a 325i, after her much modified 89 GTI. It wasn't too bad, but seemed soft, especially compared to the 90 20v. It was just a bit tired, I guess, and probably would have been great with a bit of TLC.

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

No worries, quite happy to hear any opinions good or bad on the subject :)

10. NormanCoal Forum Member

I’m getting on alright with it thanks – haven’t got around to fixing any of the little niggles with it, but they aren’t urgent ones anyway.
    From a driving experience, it’s a different beast from a fwd golf, and a bit bigger as well. The weight and size of it are the two things that I am having to get used to, something that wouldn’t be applicable to you with a 3 series. As to enjoying the rwd experience, yes it’s good – I haven’t got to the stage of throwing it around in the way that I do with a golf, but this is a different type of car also. Its more of a comfy cruiser really, comfy seats, and long gearing make for a relaxed drive. The other thing that is making me drive like a granddad with it is the MPG dial/gauge – it can be quite frightening at times, lol.

I’d defo recommend one, but I don’t know if I would be choosing the beemer in your shoes having to get rid of your MK2