mk2 20vt induction/air box

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by The db, Mar 19, 2010.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Hi guys

Another mk2 20vt question I'm afriad :lol:

I've current got a HKS mushroom filter on my mk2 20vt. Looking to change this and am a fan of the drilled air box and panel filter but wondered what people were running on their mk2's?

I've got the battery relocated to the boot, so do have the right handside battery tray free to fit an airbox, but I notice that alot of the airbox's I've looked at (was thinking vr6 corrado airbox ideally) all sit on the other side of the engine bay and the piping will therefore have an issue clearing the screen washer bottle as I'll need to kink a pipe 45degrees back towards the turbo to accomodate.

The other idea I've had is a bit of a cop out with the pipercross viper kit as I guess its kind of an airbox in a way with a ram pipe, but not sure I want to spend 200 on it tbqfh.

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What about a standard 20vt one?

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I can't get a decent enough picture to see if they will be a decent fit or not.

Ideally I wanted something big and rectangular that I know fits in the tray. Technically I could block off the original outlet and customise a new one.

4. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

I did the same thing with my old 20vt mk2.

I got a G60 airbox, fixed it where the battery used to be, and rotated the top section 180 deg. Fitted and looked OEM.

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

See thats what I think I am going to have to do. I've been keeping my eye out for a corrado VR6 or G60 airbox for the job. I think the piping to run it to turbo will cost about 50ish. (will have to cover from approx back right of engine to front right of battery tray.

Wondered if this increased any turbo lag too as I currently get very little, if any lag at all.

6. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

I fitted the std 20vt air box in my Difficult Third Project, but then decided to go induction kit to free up more space for the boost pipes.

Here are the pics.

Used 1 original mounting bracket from the doner car.
    11102009799.jpg

Made 1 bracket to mount to the engine mount, I'm using an 02m 6 speed box & mounts.
    11102009803.jpg

Box in place.
    11102009800.jpg

11102009805.jpg

As i'm not using it, its now gone to a better home in Scuttlers car.

7. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

I didn't notice any lag on mine. It extends after the maf slightly, with quite large bore piping. Here is a picture. I later changed to a S3 cover, would have looked better with black piping.

I had to mod the airbox top slightly and clips so it fitted 180 deg round, nothing major just a few tweaks.
    2223285455_269f61aa28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
  8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

^^ Thats exactly the route I want to go down. I take it thats a G60 air box?

The standard 20vt air box just doesn't look right in the mk2...

9. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i think toyotec did a write up on using a standard airbox on his 16vt saying it flowed better than a cone filter if i had the room id fit one in the cabby perhaps ill move the battery to the boot lol

10. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Like the look of that G60 airbox, looks spot on :thumbup:

11. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

sweet baby jesus how have i only just come across this? this si exactly what i wanted!