Mk2 8v & An Eaton charger - The Basics

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Cian, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Cian Forum Member

Looking for a little advise regarding sticking an Eaton M45 into a Mk2 golf 8v.

Plan is to do the 2.0l bottom end from an Audi 80 (bubble block I think, haven't seen it yet). I'm not going to do any work to it yet, just bolt it on and see what happens. Then in a few months time when funds allow, buy an Eaton m45 and pop it on. Now, this is the advise I'm looking for, how do I pop it on? [:D]

I know I need to lower the compression and this apparently can be done by a steel gasket. After that I haven't got a clue. I'm being advised by a few lads who seem to know the basics but aren't willing to put there money (or is that my money) where their mouths are. Can't blame them I suppose. What I need to know is what is the minimum I need to do when adding the charger? Can I simply pop it on and drive away or do I need to change the ECU? Will the standard internals be strong enough running standard boost?

One more thing I'll ask is that you keep it in as much baby english as possible as I'm a complete numpty when it comes to the oily bits!!! [:D] :( [:D]

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The reason this misson is not attempted more, especially as you may not have the skills, would be because you can obtain a MK3 16v N/A motor, aka ABF and get almost the same thrills for less money and hassle.

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

there is a thread on E38 with a build on and a thread just a few below this one also with 8v eaton m45 install.

you need ability to fabricate mounting brackets, pipework etc........ do you have these? if not, this is probably not possible for you alone.

4. Cian Forum Member

I understand that and meant to say that in my OP but I want to keep the 8v engine. Not trying to start yet another 8v versus 16v debate but I'm not a fan of the 16v. Anyway, where's the fun if there's no hardship :p

Link to the Editon 38 one? I've done a pile of reading on this forum about this but it always seems that lads are going down the route of rebuilding engines, upgrading everything in sight and using different ECU's etc. I want to know if I can do it without this work for now and upgrade bits and bobs as I go. I want to eventually go down the Megasquirt route. Both to set up the car better but also to learn about it.

As for the pipe work, I have nothing at all for the charger fitting, but plenty of people willing to make whatever I can't buy cheaply. One thing I'd love to get is a set of CAD drawings of the pipework as a mate is a fabricator and loves challenges like this. :thumbup:

5. Toyotec

6. Cian Forum Member

Boxman's Mk3 is very impressive alright. But again, he went to town on it from day one, I'm hoping to just bolt on the charger with minimal work from day one and add to it as I go if possible.

7. Hari Forum Member

Things that you'll need:

-Eaton supercharger
    -Custom pipework
    -Uprated Injectors
    -Intercooler
    -Stacked head gasket or low comp pistons
    -Uprated Fuel pressure regulator
    -Fuel rail but you may get away with using the original one
    -You'll have to get custom brakets made to attatch the eaton onto the block and add pulleys where needed to keep the belt tensioned and made sure that its aligned properly. Might have to move the alternator lower down the block.
    -You'll definately need an uprated ECU (megasquirt, emerald etc).

Things you might want to consider:

-Gearbox, as its probably not going to be able to handle much power.
    -Uprated brakes
    -Uprated clutch

If i've missed anything out im sure somebody will add it. And remember there is alot of custom fabrication involved

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That will not work out, honestly.

9. badger5

What we have done, George made parts like brackets, to mount charger, inlet and outlet pipes, I made the aluminium pipework to and from intercooler (made on the car, this is not something you can draw up), and essentially thus far just changed injectors for 1.8t ibiza ones and it runs pretty well.
    It needs mapping obviously, but it goes better now than it did, and produces 5psi on boost.

bog stock bottom end. no dropping of CR, as this is such low boost

I have to say the install George has done and its mounting, is by far the cleanest install I have seen on the E45 into 8v

We will have to get some pictures up.

10. Spartangti New Member

Im doing this same build and would like to know how yours went also badger5 you got any more info about this. Thanks.

11. badger5

it was done, used for a year or more and now has been replaced by a 1.8t
    the whole engine and charger is just sat in his garage I think..

12. Spartangti New Member

See im getting alot of people on other forums doubting i can do this build. Any recomendations for this build and also what was the bhp outcome on the one you built. Dont suppose hes selling it

13. Boff Forum Member

Those people are giving you good advice.

[​IMG]

This is an M62 I fitted with the help of Dub Nutta and a very good ex Rolls Royce Tig welder / fabricator into a Mk2 G60 which already had a 2.0 conversion.

It was a major job which took a lot of skill and messing about to get the fitting right & reliable, at a cost. It doesn't work well with the stock ECU which has been messed about a lot by the previous tuner. So its going onto DTA and being mapped by Sandy Brown eventually with the boost controlled electronically which should get us the result we want.

Your talking about an engine conversion into a Mk2 followed by converting it to forced induction using a supercharger that has to be custom fitted to the engine and there are no off the shelf components. Plus you openly admit you no nothing about working on cars.

My advice to you is start small and work your way up. This is probably one of the most complex projects you could undertake and if you pay someone else to do it they will have to charge you 1000's to do it properly plus the parts or it will never work properly.

If you have a Mk2 its a great car to learn how to work on cars, parts are cheap and they are simple to work on. If it's a Gti getting it set up properly in the first place and running well will make a huge difference to performance. Then you have exhaust, intake, fuelling and timing you can play with and understand to get more power. While your doing this there is brakes, suspension, steering and weight reduction. Next clutch and flywheel. Maybe at this point starting looking at engine tuning, head cams.

Trust me nothing just pop's on. People can make things look easy and in your mind it might looks like something should just work but it isn't the case.

I dread to think how many engine swaps I've done in Golfs these days but the Eaton charger was probably the hardest I've done.

Go and learn how to work on cars then you'll answer all these questions yourself.

It can be done, but it's going to be very expensive take a lot of time and skill and you have to ask yourself what the main reason for doing the conversion is.

Cheers
    Boff

14. Spartangti New Member

I know how to work on the gti as ive had many of them in my time. Ive already custom made a bracket for the eaton and its ready to get put on. Dont confuse me with the original poster who said he had no ideas about cars and couldnt make stuff i just tagged along with the post i already have a eaton charger from a 1.8 merc. Im just after any other things people have done other than upgrading fuel.

15. Toyotec

Good advice Boff.

16. Boff Forum Member

17. Spartangti New Member

Yeh it is good advice just to the wrong person haha

18. watercooled Forum Member

Have looked in to this myself with the same engine (3a),great info so far,is there a set rule on m45 and m62,some say the m45 is on the limit for a 2 litre?
    I'am an engineer so I'am not worried about the fabrication side,it would appear that a lot could be done to an 8v without the huffer and reach similar power output,due to the fact it is an 8v.
    Is the extra low end torque the main benefit,I understand the Eaton huffer starts to make boost @ 900rpm?.

19. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Nice clean install, I like. Is there a video of this I'd like to hear how it sounds. I was exploring the eaton option a little while back but got put off from the sound, based on some youtube videos.

20. eatonmk2 Forum Member

The m45 works well on a 2.0 8v up to a point like anything really,190/200. if you work around the shorter rev range of the 8v and gear the eaton right it'll go well.
    Merc rev those m45s to the limit then bleed off air go get the target power/torque.
    The Eaton in the pic I'm sorry to say is a twin port 4gen m45 from a merc 1.8 engine which has three outputs, 143ps 160ps and 190ps all using the same Eaton and pulley ratio 210mm crank 75 or 80mm Eaton (can't remember the size)
    Ratio 2.8 x the merc 5.9k redline 16,520 rpm.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    Brian.G likes this.