MK2 8v Engine Bay

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Gooner, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Gooner New Member

Any of you kind gents with an 8v fancy posting your engine bay on here as I am sure I have wiring that isnt necessary. In particular the right hand side around the battery. I have already located one lot that I assume was from an old alarm and I think there is another lot as well!! In addition I wouldnt mind seeing how you guys go about tarting this particular issue up as damn my wiring looks ugly. All the wiring is visiable lots of colour [xx(]

Thanks guys

2. Tall Paul Forum Member

VW sells reels of that adhesive fabric loom wrapping tape, if you want it original.

3. Gooner New Member

here are some pics to show you what I am on about...

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

pic 2 plug looks like form an old alarm. More importantly in pic 4 it looks like the brownish wire going to the open throttle switch is broken, pretty sure this is important.

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

This is what i plan to acheive when i start tidying up the looms.

[​IMG]

Im pretty sure a guy on here used to own this Mk2. The bay looks ace, one of the most clean 8v bays ive seen! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

^^^^ Sorry but that just looks awful... [xx(]

Gooner; Yours does look to be in a bit of a state. Looks like someone has previously being tracing/fixing old faults.

The only true way to get them looking like factory, would be to rip the whole lot out, fix/replace any wires that are worn/damaged, and either wrap in loom tape, or in some plastic Copex conduit (as in Richard`s picture, but in black, like mine)...

[​IMG]

If that`s too big a job, then simply wrapping the exposed wiring in black electrical tape will make it look a million times better.

7. Gooner New Member

Thanks guys think I am just going to strip the old tape off and replace it. I have a question about my car, I had to jump it today, I left it running for about 45mins then turned it off. I messed around inside the engine bay for about 30mins then went to turn it back on and guess what nothing, didnt turn over at all. What do you reckon to that?

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

those 2 fuses should not be there, disconnect them and follow them back, pulling the wires out as you go. that large plug near the header tank also shouldnt be there, do the same with that. you'll probably find they run to a control unit inside the car, and wires from that will be spliced into the car loom. remove and re-join cut wires as you go. prob be a bonnet switch somewhere, pull that out too.
    Prob the green wire that runs over the top of the battery

9. Gooner New Member

rubjonny where the hell do you live as I may sell up here in Newcastle and move in next door to you, your knowledge seems endless. I assume you are in the motor industry.

Note to oneself get rid of haynes and get myself a rubjonny!! lol

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

near reading, and no not in the motor industry and never have been, I work in computers :lol:

11. Gooner New Member

Guys this is probably a request that isnt possible but anyone fancy coming round and helping me out with removing the wiring as rubjonny mentioned. I have chased them back into the car and that is as far as I have got as I really am not comfortable with actually removing them.

Failing that once the car is road legal again I could come round rather than someone coming to me. Please note that I am willing to learn so it wont be "here you go get on with it" I would want to get in there and understand as well.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  12. nealey Forum Junkie

That is a tidy bay but the red spoils it for me, would of done it black personally and got rid of the chrome

13. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I do agree with the red, it is a little too eyecatching.

I will most likely go with the black sleeves like yours Stu, where is the best place to buy them?. They do look good in the picture. :thumbup:

Basically, when i do mine i just want it looking tidy, and as original as possible... [:D]