Mk2 8v Gti Engine Removal

Discussion in 'Engines' started by topnotch, Jan 25, 2010.

1. topnotch Forum Member

hi, my engine is broken quite badly unfortunately after a slipped cam belt but i`v emanaged to get hold of replacement engine.

How difficult is it to remove it without a hoist? I`ve removed loads of aircooled engine from beetles etc and can do that in my sleep but never removed a golf engine.

Is it a case of -
    - unbolting the manifold - (i`ve heard these can be pretty tough!) - any special tools? - are they allen key bolts?
    - removing the front section of the car - whats involved here? bumper, radiator - is there a cross member or something?
    - undoing the driveshafts
    - undo mounts
    - removing all pipes/wire connections
    - roll it out on the jack with the gearbox still attached

Any help much appreciated!
    Cheers, Mike

2. alexisblades99 Forum Member

easy enough to take out without a hoist, harder to put back in without one.
    hoist you should be able to hire one for less than 40 notes for a weekend.

3. topnotch Forum Member

yes - i`ve hired a hoist before for a subaru engine at my old place but unfortunately its a bit of a non starter where i currently live as i`ve got no transport and i live down a dirt track which a delivery van wouldn`t be able to get down so its just me and the trolley jack!

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

when I did my mk2 I removed and fitted without a crane. Corrado I used a crane. Its definitley easier with the crane. Driveshafts are best done with a 3ft long splined socket from laser. The hardest part for me was getting to the manifold/downpipe nuts, there are 6 of them I had to use a combination of wobble extentions to get to most of them from under the car and some with stubby spanners from the engine bay.

I was attempting to fit it back in myself with a trolly jack and did manage to trap my finger under the weight of the engine so Id say go with the crane to refit.

5. topnotch Forum Member

3ft long!? thats huge! what size spline is it - any advice on where to buy it from? cheers

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

No point in fannying about trying to undo the manifold to downpipe bolts...

Just split the downpipe for the centre section, and pull it all out in one.

Thusly;

[​IMG]

As you can see, all that needs to be removed is the slam-panel, and front bumper. Leaves a nice clear hole for the engine to exit through. :lol:

[​IMG]

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

is a standard 8v? sipped cambelt caused damage? what sort of damage, i thought 8v engines were clearance engines, well mine was

8. topnotch Forum Member

well the engine started a bit lumpy then died a couple of hundred yards down the road. When it was inspected the timing was about a 90 degrees out! so it was set to factory but there was now interference on turning the engine!

On further inspection, the crank pulley was a quarter way round the crank end than it should be - woodruff key knackered i think. So the a new crank pulley was fitted in the correct place with the crank re-keyed and set to TDC with a dial guage - engine turns with no inteference now but compression is down to 100psi right across - still won`t start and backfiring though some valves - something is very wrong somewhere.

Beforehand the car went like a rocket and was much faster than my old mk2 gti 8v. Onyl thing i can think of is that there is lairy camshaft in there but i have loads of receipts from the previous owner and no mention of this.

i have to admit before this happened, i thought 8v`s were non interference...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you can do a beele engine without a crane, you can do a golf engine. as per above pics whole front end comes off, makes engine removal absolute doddle! put a jack under it, undo front mount bolt drop off front engine carrier. undo rear engine bolts lift engine off them and drag it out backwards, have some card or wood redy to drop engine onto then you can slide it wherever you want to go. since engien bust anyway doesnt matter how rough you are getting it on the floor

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's 800mm long, to be a bit picky. It's an 8mm 12 point spline (aka XZN spline). GSF sell the tool, or some of the internet tool retailers.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=...p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=800mm+spline&_osacat=0

I built myself a little wooden trolley for changing engines without a hoist. Or get a bread trolley and a big flat piece of wood.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  11. topnotch Forum Member

yeah- think i`m going to give it a go with the jack :)

will probably have a play with the current engine timing and stuff before i dive in to engine change. I haven`t been able to have a look at the engine yet as i`ve been in work all week and its been sitting down at the garage where i broke down. Hope my girlfirends beetle can tow it the couple of 100 yards!

12. topnotch Forum Member

would this be the right `instrument` !?

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=AK5535

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

yep thats the one. I borrowed mine from Mike's Auto Tools just down the road from me ;)

14. erantomer Forum Member

problem with trolly jack, is that its lifting surface is very small compared to the engine and tranny. you should probably put a large piece of wood on it.

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah kinda thought that would be obvious ;)

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Ahhh so thats why the engine ended up on my finger :lol:

17. 1982.rpd Forum Member

As stu says undo downpipe to centre section and tackle mani bolts when engine is out (if u need to use mani again)