Mk2 8v insurance group?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by t'mill, Oct 9, 2007.

1. t'mill Forum Member

Does anyone know what insurance group a G reg Mk2 GTI 8v is in? I thought 14, however my insurance company is trying to shaft me with a 420 quote when they have just renewed my 1.8 16v Corrado for 315. They're saying the Golf is in group 16 and Corrado in 15. I'd have thought the other way around. Either way a Rado is the costlier car to insure in my opinion.

Please help, i intend to complain properly as they said last week that they should be able to get my Golf to under 300. Now they've stung me for 420.

2. paulyb Forum Member

I think the 8v is group 14 and the 16v is group 16?

Have heard in the past that insurance groups differ from company to company?

I'm 31 years old, drive a 91 h 8v gti,and I'm paying 185 tpft for the year, but I think they make the prices as they go along

3. t'mill Forum Member

Tell me about it. I'm 33, full no claims and the company quoted me 315 fully comp & pncb for my Corrado I only renewed with them as they said they'd be able to get the Golf to under 300. I said i'd take my business elsewhere but they stung me with a 101 cancellation fee. So i've had no choice but to renew.

What grates me is that theres no way a Golf is more expensive to insure than a Corrado.

If anyone can clarify Pauls insurance groups that would be fab.

4. red 8V Forum Member

total bull

Red

5. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  6. t'mill Forum Member

I agree. In 14yrs of motoring this is the first time i've been had by an insurance company. My only chance is to try and peg down the time and date they said they could get my Golf under 300, as all calls are recorded and i have a right to listen to the playback apparently.

If anyone can clarify if a Mk2 GTI 8v is in ins gp 14 that would be fab.

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

It depends on company to company.

Same company my 16v is 800 to insure, the 8v (RIP) was 500. I know a 3dr 16v is group 16. Was under impression 8v's were 14.

8. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I agree with red that's bull.

Has anyone reclaimed admin/cancellation fees against insurance companies like with banks yet?

9. t'mill Forum Member

Just to clarify the above, the company said if i wanted to cancel the existing policy for the Corrado, which was only renewed less than 2wks, then there would be a 101 cancellation charge. In essence having me over a barrel as they wanted 120 to change the policy over to the Golf, or 101 to cancel.

as Thedb says, i thought 8v's were grp 14 too. Its looking like some companies can raise or lower groupings as they see fit.