mk2 8v suspension

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by c13tay, Nov 28, 2003.

1. c13tay Forum Member

Currently running with weitec -40mm (which are actually a lot lower) and 16" AZEV's but want to put the car almost back to standard ie 15" rims. The ride height I am looking for is basically just a touch lower then standard.

Any advice on what springs and dampers to use ??

2. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

basically looking for a comfy ride and slightly better handling on gf's car too, we're going for boge turbo gas shocks and eibach springs. if you got for a 30mm drop it should be a bit lower, and look better.

3. mazza New Member

I have boge turbo gas on my 8V with standard springs but find the ride a bit bouncy and harsh on uneven roads, originally had the boges with boge 20mm springs but the car was even more bouncy and the whole dash would rattle over bumbs and it looked more like 40mm lowered.

I think now I would have gone with the normal boge gas not the turbo together with Eibach 30mm springs which I think would make the best compromise between handling and comfort.

4. md8v Forum Member

i'm running -40mm boge springs and standard dampers (boge from
    gsf) ride is harder than standard but not so hard you loose your
    teeth, my mum doesn't seem to mind the harshness either! they
    give good support when chucking it through corners though [:D]
    drop looksgood too.

5. mazza New Member

MD8V, are the boge shocks you have turbo gas or just the standard gas?

Drove my car this lunchtime and got had thoughts of ripping the whole suspension out and sticking the standard stuff from VAG, I can feel every small bump its unreal.

What makes me think is when i had my bmw 318is e30 it had m-tech suspension which was quite hard but it handled like a dream and the ride was so comfortable, is this due to having oil shocks rather than gas?

6. zoid Forum Member

Been advised by C&R to go for a Weitec kit on my Mk2 8v, why are you removing them, unhappy with the ride quality?
    Are you gonna sell them on?

7. mazza New Member

I fitted the boge turbo gas with 20mm springs 3 weeks ago and liked the handling but the ride was so a bit too hard on the roads and also we have loads of speed bumbs too.

The following week swapped the springs for the standard ones but I'm sure the ride should be alot better but still not happy with it.

Will give the shocks another month and see if they become any softer, if not i will sell them on and fit standard shocks, if you want them let me know

8. zoid Forum Member

As far as I can tell, if you want sports shocks and springs but also want to retain a comfortable ride you need to spend a bit extra, Koni + Eibach seems the way to go....

9. GTi69 Forum Member

I have the Koni+Eibach setup and i can't fault it, on the softest setting it is a very nice ride and not too harsh, it also sticks to the road like poo to a blanket.
    On the hardest setting it will loosen your fillings but your handling almost like a go-kart, unless the road is really bumpy, which is practically all of them ;)

10. md8v Forum Member

just normal oil ones, bout 18 each

11. zoid Forum Member

I understand Eibach do 2 spring sets, one Pro kit giving a 40mm drop but retaining a comfortable ride, the other gives a 60mm drop but obviously makes for a firmer ride. Which springs you got?

12. mazza New Member

Decided to go back to standard setup, so now I am selling the Boge turbo gas with lowered springs, anyone interested give me a call.

Have had springs on the car for 1 week and dampers 3 weeks only.

Tel: 07958 660691

13. c13tay Forum Member

Im going back to standard too - anyone want a Weitec 40mm drop kit with adjustable damping all round and height adjustable rears ?????

14. GTi69 Forum Member

its only a 40mm drop