Mk2 ABF 16v - Track Car Build

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pj_sibley, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Rusty_McRusty New Member

Just a 6 point rollcage and a 1.8T to go then Pete? ;)

2. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

I don't think so Rusty!!

6-point weld-in cage is definitely an option this winter. However, as you know, I'd like to get an 020 16v 'box and lightened flywheel in there to replace the super-long ratios of the 8v diesel box the previous owner fitted!

Got some other plans too, mostly small stuff ;)

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

If your taking the box off to do that you must get an LSD, I think that would help you the most!
    Not saying that you need help on the track that is:lol:

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

That diesel box must be a mare on the track, they're stupidly long geared!

5. Rusty_McRusty New Member

It would be fine if Pete changed gear later than 6500 RPM...

'box and lightened fly is the way to go. It's not really struggling for grip on the R888s, although an ATB might be worth the effort.

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, best thing you will ever do to a track car:)Fit a gripper diff:thumbup:

7. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Thanks for that Andy!! It takes so flippin' long for the revs to build, I just get bored and change gear LOL! It's not really that bad but it certainly isn't ideal. I've managed to locate an 020 16v gearbox with another forum member, so hopefully that should provide some more appropriate ratios! A new diff will cost a fortune surely?

8. gasco

gasco Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Pete how did it go at keevil? Quaife atb diffs are 500-600. Could sell your box to help fund it.

9. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

You think anyone would want an 8v diesel 'box?! I'd love a Quaiffe, but that's a heap of money and over half-way to a full roll cage install.

Keevil was great thanks. Minor ignition issue after my second session on track, leading to being towed off track LOL! However, quickly fixed (loose ignition connection) and the rest of the day went really well. New pads (EBC YellowStuff) proved strong and durable, and the R888 tyres performed superbly again.

I've now secured an 020 16v 'box and am hoping to get a new lightened flywheel and Sachs clutch sorted too :thumbup:

10. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Been ages since I updated this thread, but have been quite busy with the car this week so thought I'd post something up....

With reference to the post above, I have now fitted the 020 16v (2Y) gearbox, along with a heap of other stuff I had accumulated over the past few months. A big thanks to nhoj62 from the Bristol region, who helped me out on Weds/Thurs/Fri last week, putting in some long hours to get the job done!

So, here's a run down of what we managed to do:

- Fitted 020 16v (2Y) standard gearbox
    - New input shaft seal and bush
    - New main engine crank seal
    - Fitted Hotgolf'd lightened/balanced flywheel
    - Fitted new Sachs clutch
    - Fitted 25.4mm Audi S2 master cylinder and new copper lines to front/rear splitters in engine bay
    - Change all fluids - gearbox oil, engine oil, PAS fluid, brake fluid, coolant
    - Fitted new PAS and alternator belts
    - Fitted new exhaust manifold studs/copper nuts/gaskets
    - And....a general tidy up of the engine bay, electical connections, block and pipework!

The only real issues we encountered were a damaged thread on the PAS belt tensioner (we re-tapped it), a crumbling input shaft bush (we literally chipped it out!) and discovering the old speedo drive gear sat under the oil fill hole on the replacement gearbox (we fished it out with a flexible grabber). So, all in all, a very successful few days and should set things up nicely for the year ahead.

After finally getting (most of) the air out of the brake system due to the new master cylinder etc., I was able to take the car out for a test-drive this evening. The good news is that the car is still intact, ran at the correct temperatures and didn't make any strange noises! I didn't push it for obvious reasons, as I want to check all of the bolts, connections, hose clamps and fluids again before finding out the difference the new gearbox has made.

Looking forward to the 2012 track season now, with just a few more jobs to complete :thumbup:

11. Mk2matt

Mk2matt Forum Member

Great thread mate, very similar to my motor except mines a KR on webers. May see you on a few track days this summer or Curby if your going:thumbup:

12. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

^^ Thanks :thumbup:

I haven't updated the thread for ages, which is a bit poor on my part LOL!! The car is running superbly on the new gearbox and I had my first track outing of 2012 in it at Mallory Park a few weeks ago. The shorter 'box ratios coupled with a new custom stainless exhaust, new intake pipe and rolling road setup from Stealth Racing have given a noticable improvement in overall performance. It made a healthy 173bhp / 151 lbft on the rollers, which I was more than pleased with.

In addition to the work listed in my previous update from January, I've also completed the following work over the past couple of months:

- New stainless fuel pump/accumulator/filter pipes
    - New fuel filter
    - Custom stainless exhaust (2.25" 2-box twin exit) from Infinity Exhausts
    - Custom alloy intake pipe from Pro-Alloy
    - HEL 16v K-Jet fuel lines and new banjo fittings
    - Wilwood brake bias valve and new internally routed rear brake circuit with braided inner rear hoses
    - Solid front engine mount
    - Wheel alignment check/setup by Stealth Racing
    - Brake fluid change (ATE Super Blue)

So, things are coming along nicely and I hope to put a few more photos up in the near future as well as getting out on track a fair bit too. Next jobs include a custom oil catch tank (where the battery used to be), lower front strut brace, gear linkage bushes....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  13. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

As it happens, here are a few quick pics....

Me on track at Mallory Park in March:

[​IMG]

New custom stainless exhaust looking shiny:

[​IMG]

The new fuel pump/accumulator/filter setup with stainless pipes:

[​IMG]

Custom intake pipe from Pro-Alloy:

[​IMG]

HEL 16v K-Jet fuel lines:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  14. wesley Forum Member

Lovely car,

15. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

So, a quick update following a successful outing to Pembrey in S.Wales yesterday....it didn't even rain believe it or not! I went along having fitted a new 65mm dished suede rimmed steering wheel and OMP lower front strut brace, so was keen to see how the car performed. Despite my used R888 tyres coming to the end of their life after 6 sessions (and 4 full track days), it was a really enjoyable day and my Yoko AD08 "road" tyres did an admirable job for the last few sessions of the day :thumbup:

Below is a video from session 6, taken from a mounting position under the roof, between the rear turrets (also a few pics below that):

[YOUTUBE]Ou18TQw2zg4[/YOUTUBE]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

You decided to go in the end then mate, glad the weather held out for you.

How did your hand hold up?

17. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Yeah, the hand held out thanks. Bit sore at the end of the day, but that's what you get when you slice your hand open with a stanley knife LOL!

We had a really good day and MSE did a great job with the organisation :thumbup: Can't wait for the next trackday, although might not be until June.

18. G2T

G2T Forum Member

Hey Pete,

Car looked good, nice to catch up. Was good to see a decent turn out and some non cgti golfs too.

Sat up on the bank watching I was a bit sorry I hadnt dusted mine off and come out to play!!

19. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

A bit of an update on developments since the last trackday at Pembrey in April....

The custom oil catch tank a friend of mine and I had been developing finally arrived in June and has now been plumbed in to pick-up the feed from the crank case breather via a combination of solid and flexi pipework. The return to the intake and airbox have been plugged accordingly. It's fitted using the OE battery fixings on the chassis rail and looks brilliant I think. I ran the car at Mallory Park at the end of June and the system seemed to work well, with no oily smells evident despite the atmospheric breather.

I've also installed a dash mounted battery isolation switch and a plumbed in 2.25 litre fire extinguisher system behind the driver's seat. The spray nozzles have been positioned in the engine bay and facing the fusebox in the driver's footwell.

Next developments in the pipeline include a slimline radiator fan setup, procurement of a Megasquirt ECU and loom, and development of a custom front-facing inlet manifold and intake system (hopefully!). I'm also having a TSR 4-branch ABF specific exhaust manifold fitted on Thursday :)

A few pictures of the new oil catch tank and from Mallory Park:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Nice pics from Mallory Pete, were these from the official photographer?