MK2 and MK4 details and advantages, or things I should know about.

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by jeremymills9, Aug 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jeremymills9 New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum so unsure if anyone will actually reply but would like to know some details about 2 VW's. When I'm in the right place and can afford a new car, not worried about the price of them, but what should I get, a MK2 or MK4.

Anyone have any details about them from experience. I just want to know advantages and disadvantages of both cars, I'm in love with the MK2 and it's been my dream car since I was a kid, but I'm starting to like the MK4 a lot as well.

help...

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Welcome to the forum.

Buy the one you really want and be aware of the draw backs of owning them.

A MK2 Golf GTI is shooting up in value for a car that was last made in 1992. So it is old but it's faults and what can be done to them are well documented.

MK4 Golfs somehow never really took off and seem to be over shadowed by the MK5, if they have not ended up as donor cars.
    A much stiffer and newer vehicle platform than a MK2 or MK3 and great as a track car with enough patience.

It is a difficult one to answer and one that really you need to go out and sample both before making up your mind.

3. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

There is a huge gap between the mk2 or a mk4, I would almost go as far as to suggest the two are not comparable. I think you would need to mention what you are intending to use it for? The mk2 is as has been pointed out above now getting quite old now and in my opinion is a lot more raw then a mk4. While it is still more than possible to use a mk2 as your day to day transport if this is your main use then the mk4 would be a better pick. If however you want a classic golf then the mk2 is closer to the mark.

But be quick as mentioned above the prices are ramping up for nice mk2s

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

It depends what you want to do with them - if it's a second car or a toy go for a mk2.

5. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

if you're handy you can fix more of a mk2 with a hammer, 5 doors will make ownership pregnancy proof.