Mk2 blower motor

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by russ_28, Jan 9, 2007.

1. russ_28 New Member

Hi!!

Relatively new to the dub scene but already have one million and one questions!!

I have a concours Mk2 1300cc (my little sunday project car) and although the car is in really good order there a few annoying problems.

The blower motor works but only in position '3'. In position 1 the motor doesn't operate and in position 2 the motor rotates very slowly with a really annoying sqeualing sound. I have hit it with a mallet a few times and this only frees it up for a matter of minutes.

How easy is it to replace the blower motor unit - will it involve part removal of the dash or is there a quick fix solution (would spraying WD40 into the blower air intake work??!). I can pick an old motor up very cheap from a scrappy and I'm handy enough working around the car. Any help mucho appreciated!!

russ

2. Monkeynutz Forum Member

Its dead easy to remove the motor, if you look under the dash in the passenger footwell its by the door, get your torch, have a look around the edge and find the plastic tab that stops the motor falling out, leaver this forward a little the twist the motor free! you can dismantle it a bit more by pressing the 3 rubber tabs on the casing back to withdraw the motor from its plastic housing and then give it plenty of wd40 or spray grease or whatever you like, i think you can buy something to repair the fan speed issue if you cant be bothered going to the breakers

3. mr_roggger Forum Member

You can buy the resistor pack thingy that gives you the 3-speeds new for <20. I think having no other speeds than off or 3 is a very common problem, my '88 certainly had that problem when I got it. Also, the fan tends to sieze up if you have rust around the aerial blank (probably not a blank on your 1300) and wiper blank as water can get in and drip down onto the motor, and in my case, this caused the impeller mount to rust and the impeller (white part) fell onto the black (motor part) hence making the annoying screaching noise. Whole new set was about 40 + 15 from ECP/GSF I think.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

The little resistor on the side of the resistor pack tends to blow...check it with an ohm-meter and solder in a replacement from Maplin/other for pennies - take the old one along and they should be able to match it.

5. mr_roggger Forum Member

I don't think resistors can blow? Isn't it a fuse? Yes, that's the part any way, but from what I remember it's not a normal solder joint??

6. was8v Forum Member

If the fans only work on speed 3 the thermal fuse in the resistor pack has blown.

This is due the motor shaft running dry and getting lots of resistance from rust and gunk, meaning more current drawn by the motor making more heat in the resistor pack blowing the thermal fuse.

So take your resistor pack off as described, cut the thermal fuse out and take it to maplins for a replacement, I think its a 184 deg C one and they are about 30p.

Meanwhile flip the cap off the bottom of the fan unit and spray penetrating lubricant on the end of the shaft to help free it up some. If you don't do this you'll just keep popping thermal fuses! maybe take it apart further to lubricate it.

When replacing the thermal fuse be careful with the soldering iron or you will pop it with the heat. I replaced mine by twisting the wires securely rather than soldering.....

7. Steve B Forum Junkie

or swap out the bit its all soldered too with one from a scrap car only problem is finding one that hasnt gone aswell but its a two sec job with the fan out.

8. Tall Paul Forum Member

Just realised i got this problem today. is the resistor pack and the thermal fuse i need to get to joined to the bower itself or somewhere else?

thanks.

9. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

yep. take the blower out of the car and the resistor is behind the connector of the blower

10. gti8v Forum Member

what he said, think i've got one kicking about in the shed somewhere,

11. Willber Forum Member

My fan only works on speed 3, I have bought a replacement blower unit but it has a different connection on it for the plug - will this fix the problem or do I still need to mess about with resistors?

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

I think the fact that is only works at one speed means the resistor is at fault.

13. Willber Forum Member

Is the resistor on a seperate unit to the blower?

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes the entire plug/resistor assembly comes off, its joined to the blower motor by a pair of spade connectors inside the hole

15. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

that is some serious thread revival