mk2 bv fuel pump!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by chris gti, Oct 13, 2010.

1. chris gti New Member

my mk2 8v digi won't start been sat far a year. i'v built a new 2.0ltr 8v engine and fitted it but it won't start. the under body fuel pump is not making a noise like they normally do when you turn the ignition on. does this mean it's seize. can it be repaired or can fit a newer pump from a newer car?

2. danster Forum Addict

It could be that the fuel pump relay is sticking and not supplying the correct voltage to the pumps.
    You will need to check you are getting 12volts at the injection pump under the car, and also at the lift pump in the tank.
    If the car has been laid up for a year there is a chance the petrol will have turned and the pumps may be duff.

I probably have got pumps lying around if they turn out to be broken. :thumbup:
    Just pm if you wish.

3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Just a thought, as i had this problem when i fitted mine.

It turned out to be the plug which plugs into the under car pump. Closer inspection showed that the metal connectors inside the plug had moved away slighly, and needed pushing forward to catch the terminals on the pump.

It drove me mad getting to the bottom of it. :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

take out pump rely, jump a chunky bit of wire between the 2 large pins on the relay socket. if pump runs, its ecu, wiring or ecu/pump relay problem