Mk2 Cabriolet right side highbeam not working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by MeltingDog, Jun 22, 2014.

1. MeltingDog New Member

Hi all,

I've just bought a Mk2 Cabriolet that needs only a very little amount of work to get a road worthy certificate.

One of the things that needs doing in the right side highbeam light doesnt work. I've checked both the bulb and fuse and they seem fine. When I toggle the passing switch neither high or low beam lights work on that side of the car, indicating a possible circuit issue.

Would anyone be able to give me any hints as to what could be causing this issue?

Many thanks in advance!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if neither work i would start by checking the brown earth wire, it should run across the front of the car with the rest of the wiring then join into the main earth to battery in a crimped joint. quick n dirty test run a long wire from the battery -ve and stuff it into the back of the headlight plug brown wire terminal to see if that helps. make sure the plug pins are all nice and clean as well

if you swap the bulb over with the working side that'll confirm if the bulb is the problem or not