*Mk2 Crossover question - anyone help?*

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Driver1.6, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Driver1.6 Forum Member

Looking to replace the standard VW speakers with something better, but don't have a huge budget. I want a set of 5 1/4" comps in the front, but don't know whether to bother buying a set that has a crossover.

Where is the original crossover unit on a Mk2 golf (if there is one)? Also, how easy/hard is it to feed new speaker cable around the car?

2. dirtydubber Forum Member

All component speakers have a cross over although some are only a very small capacitor in the tweeter. If you try running them full range without a crossover you will very soon be tweeterless. Running speaker cable around a Mk2 is quite straight forward, just dont run them too close to any power cables. If you want to run cable to the dash tweeter locations, it is easier to drop the cable down from above than trying to feed it up past the heater vents.

3. Driver1.6 Forum Member

My plan is as follows:

-Take the cable for the front speakers to the crossover (hidden below the dash somewhere)
    -Take one cable from the crossover to the tweeter and another to the mid/bass driver in the door

Will this be too hard? If I find the existing cable can I just attatch the new cable to it and pull it through? Really want to remove as little as possible near the dash ect. [:s]

4. shinecello New Member

I'm pretty sure that the tweeter "crossover" on the original speaker is just a capacitor which is fixed to the tweeter itself. Not sure about the mid though.

5. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

All that is quite straight forward, although you would probably be best off replacing all of the original speaker wire from behind the head unit as the original wire is not of great quality! There are 2 decent locations to mount crossovers in a mk2, one on each side, just to the right of the centre console there is almost a small shelf insde the dash, not quite horizontal, which a crossover sits on well, and on the passenger side there is somethin similar closer to the door, just have a feel around! If you don't already have central locking/electric windows you'l need to get hold of some rubber hose to go between the door and the car.

6. Driver1.6 Forum Member

Thanks I'm going to attack it this easter! Am currently looking at the Infinity components as I heard good things about them :) Will also replace the standard 6x4" in the back or put some coax's on the parcel shelf.

7. mbh69 Forum Member

don't bother with rear fill if anythin the infinities would run much better amped you don't need rear speakers in a golf it will ruin the sound stage especially 6x4's

a small sub would be the next step if your limited on space there are a few good options an 8" sub will still give a good thump from the rear but a 10" or 12" would be easier to source

allways upgrade original wiring as it will benefit long term

8. mbh69 Forum Member

9. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

I'd always recommend 6x9's in the parcel shelf, give a good all round performance, but make sure you get a half decent pair. Then a 10" sub in the boot and you'll be sorted, nice little system on a budget! Have a look at the vibe active subs if you are going to put a sub in, theyre very good on a budget as they inlude an amp, check out ebay.

10. shinecello New Member

A lot of people would disagree with 6x9's on the shelf, especially mixing this with a sub in the boot.

11. mbh69 Forum Member

6x9's are for a poor quality load setup nothin else there a huge no no in the ice world

12. dirtydubber Forum Member

OI!! 6x9's on the back shelf?NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

[​IMG]

13. Driver1.6 Forum Member

Any decent 10 or 12" subs for less than 100 squid? Ta

14. mbh69 Forum Member

www.caraudiodirect.com or i'm sellin a db audio t-rex for 130 in ported box

take a look at alpine subs if you want decent quality all depends what your after and you'll need an amp to run it