MK2 Digifant Running Rich?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by nickh89GTi, May 13, 2008.

1. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Got a Newbie here, please go easy on me. I have just finished converting my 1.3 shell i brought 2 years ago to a 1.8 8V GTi with digifant management [:D]. When it is started in the mornings it seems to smell a bit rich and sometimes get a puff of black smoke if not started for a couple of days. Could this be linked to a faulty Microswitch on the throttle body?

Also there is a spade connector on the side of the distributor. Should this have an earth lead on it and where should i earth it to?

I look forward to any guidance recieved.

Cheers

Nickh89GTi

2. olliemk2 Forum Member

alrite mate, welcome to the forum... not sure bout your distributor but as for your car

running rich dont think thats unusual at all for digi's, generally they're a bit of a b****rd!!!

dont panic though type into search button at top of page rubjonny's guide to setting up

digifant properly, if you follow that it should sort it id reckon. :thumbup:

3. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Ollie, thanks for your reply mate and the welcome to the forum. As for setting up timing etc, the engine has been completly rebuilt and set up by my mate at Tipton Tuning. Haven't got an air filter on it at the mo and has a made up exhaust of various different exhausts (big bodge), but put it on the rollers and made 105 bhp and 112 lbs foot torque with a nice smooth torgue curve.

The car does sometimes rev itself to 2000rpm so am thinking the microswitch is at fault as have read some of the posts on the forum about it.

Cheers mate

nick

4. olliemk2 Forum Member

well you wont go far wrong listening to people on here mate, my mechanical knowledge is w*** but if you do a search there's usually 100 people who've asked the same thing before and your bound to find an answer somewhere, or if your really stuck pop the question and one of the guru's shouldnt be far away!!:lol:
    take it easy mate ( get some pictures of your motor up!!)

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

105 bhp at the wheels or the flywheel?

Common causes of running rich would be a tired spring in the air flow meter, or a duff blue temp sender. They more often run lean than rich.

Idle issues could be air leaks, ignition timing, ISV, or indeed the microswitch.

Without knowing what was done in the rebuild, or which parts you've already replaced, it's hard to be more specific.

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its for the metal shroud that incases the dizzy cap, it has a small braided earth lead. it often gets left off, i read that it can make a small difference to the way the car runs, but have nothing to back it up

7. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies to my question.

Ollie - will post some pics up at the weekend when i've had chance to give the golf a wash and polish and hopefully new genuine grill would have turned up as the GSF aftermarket 1 fits like a piece of s***.

Mark H - i think there machine measures the BHP etc at the wheels but not 100% sure. Replaced the blue temp sender but used a GSF one and have read they are not that brilliant. Replaced all vac lines, timing was set up before goin on rollin road and the ISV is buzzin nicly when ignition is turned on. The fuel pump whines but have a new lift pump to see if that stops it.

drunkenalan - I have seen on my mates Polo GT that he has connected a earth wire to the dizzy and earthed it to the earthing block on the engine. Would this be ok to do to mine?

Cheers Guys

Nick

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Mike, not Mark ;)

Rolling roads do measure power at the wheels, but they can give you an adjusted figure which estimates the power at the flywheel. If it's 105 at the wheels, it's clearly not a standard 1.8 8v GTI... what's the rest of the spec?

Did they have your car on a gas analyser too? If it's really running rich, they should have spotted it.

I'd try a real blue temp sender, before messing about with the AFM spring.

And put an air filter in it. A standard one will be fine.

9. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Sorry Mike

Guess it was converted to a reading at the flywheel as the engine is completely standard.

Yeah i think so but it only smells rich when its cold when its warm its fine.

Think i will go to the local dealer and get a genuine VAG blue temp sensor and give that a try.

How would i test the AFM spring mate?

Looking out for an air filter on ebay but they don't seem to come up often.

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

get the blue sender swapped, it should smell richer when cold, the ecu enriches the mixture to help with warm up.

MK2 Golf Airbox and filters

i wouldnt bother with a cone filter unless you can sheild it well

11. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Cheers alan.

So i need to swap my GSF blue temp sender for a VAG one then, didn't smeel rich when i first put the engine only when my mate dropped it back after setting it up.

Anyone got any ideas about the puff of black smoke when not started for a couple of days? May be the exhaust as its kinda bodged together using different bits from different systems that were lying about in my garage.

Do you think i should use a performance panel filter in the airbox?

12. olliemk2 Forum Member

hi nick, wouldnt bother with induction kit on your car, (cone filter) would deffo just stick to a replacement panel filter, k/n pipercross or similiar. The golfs tend to get more hot air from a cone filter than they do with a standard airbox tbh, so a panel filter will be sound mate.

13. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Ollie

Will get some pics posted up soon mate let you all have a look at my 200 shell :lol: . Needs a new passenger wing though as the corner has been creased when a scaffold bar drooped on it and has now rusted[:^(] .

14. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Does anyone have any ideas about y i get a puff of black smoke when not started for a couple of days?

Also when started from cold it doesn't really like starting and takes a little while to fire.

15. BugginPaul Forum Member

i'd try a new coil.... does it run a little rough once it's started?

16. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Paul,

Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah it runs a little rough 4 a while. I think i may have snapped a little bit off where the king lean plugs onto the coil but i can't remember if i swapped it for the other one i have in my garage.

17. nickh89GTi Forum Member

anyone else got any ideas?????

18. Darren Smith Forum Member

19. Darren Smith Forum Member

8v gti 1991 runs fine acording to spark plug color but on tickover runs rich once start driving an decelerating it will pop an bang for the first mile or so .only seems to bi rich on tickover .everythin is set accordin to how it should be an will not tickover below 10 thousand or just under .any ideas