MK2 DOORS - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Ellis98, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Ellis98 New Member

Hi guys,
    I have a Mk2 gti 5 door and I need to replace 3 of the doors. I have a found a mk2 driver that is being broken for parts and he still has the doors so would driver doors fit on a gti ok?

might sound a silly question to some people but just wanna be sure before I buy them
    P.S my gti is the electric front window model so will the window mech fit into the wind up window door ? Thanks in advance :)

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Yep you should be good - no difference in doors other than variation from 3 and 5 door models - any 5 door Mk2 is interchangeable door-wise
    Should be straightforward enough to swap the electrical window mechanism in

Toyotec likes this.
  3. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

When you get the 'new' doors I would recommend making sure drainage holes at bottom are cleared, and get some kind of rust protection sprayed/painted in there for longevity's sake. And you will most likely have to make some new membranes from plastic sheet to stop any wetness getting in to the car / softening the door cards.

Not sure if 'type19' / early front doors can be swapped to later style glass and mirrors - anybody had experience with that?