MK2 Driver steering judder problem

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Trev16v, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

'lo,

The other week I went over a stone in my MK2 1.8 Driver which knackered the tyre. The offside wheel (standard steelie) was bent slightly where the stone met it.

I had a new tyre fitted. The bit where the wheel was bent (along the outside edge where it meets the tyre) was knocked back into shape for me. I found that the tracking was out by miles and so I had the tracking put right. To go straight now the steering wheel has to be at 1 o'clock (obviously I'll take it off and straighten it when I can be bothered).

The car still feels rough above 60 mph however, as at 60 and above the steering wheel feels like it is really knocking and juddering.

I am aware that there is a bit of play on the steering rack and I will get a replacement one at some point. But realistically, could a tired steering rack cause the above problem?

Is it quite easy to bend a steel wheel out of shape completely such that it could cause this problem?

Anything else that might have been damaged during the incident?

I am wondering if camber could be out but most garages seem to say 'oh we don't adjust that'.

Problem seems to be a bit worse when steering towards the left.

Thanks in advance.

Trev
    Edited by: Trev16v

2. Trev16v

Furthermore, can anyone suggest how long a garage would need to take to fit a new steering rack?

3. smithy Forum Member

Sounds like the bent wheel is causing the problem with vibration, you'll have to get it properly balanced but there is no guarantee that will really sort it - bent wheels are hard to balance properly.

As for the steering wheel being at 1 o'clock, take the horn cover off, undo the centre bolt and move the steering wheel round on the splines until its centre. Easy!

Not sure how long a rack would take, something i've never fitted.

4. Trev16v

Thanks mate. Fortunately I have already needed to take the steering wheel off my GTI once so I'm okay doing that.

I get the impression that these wheels aren't that difficult to bend out of shape. Fortunately I have a spare I can try on.

Cheers

Trev

5. Admin Guest

get the camber and tracking set after you get a new steering rack, what does it do during braking?
    Edited by: Dave

6. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Try sw*pping the front wheels with the back wheels.
    I did this with my steelies and it stopped a lot of steering judder.
    If you got a spare full size steel wheel you could try sw*ppiing it with the dented one.

7. Admin Guest

what about damage to the front brakes?

8. Jettin' Forum Member

Yeah, the discs could be warped.