Mk2 engine conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Georgetl, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Georgetl New Member

Hello all,

I’m in the process of restoring my mk2 golf gti 8v with plans for an engine swap either the 1.8t or vr6

im trying to put together a list of parts I need but finding info on vr6 swaps a bit sparse as most people reference mk2vr6.com which is no longer active.

I’ve had everything off the car like subframe, rear beam, crossmembers 16vhubs etc powder coated and looking fresh but I don’t know if I can use them??

my main question is if I go for a vr6 can I use the mk2 subframe with mk3 wishbones? If so what driveshafts would I need?

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Georgetl likes this.
  3. Georgetl New Member

4. PhilRyder

Yes it’s a mk3 but mk2 is just the same.
    If you want to pay that plus shipping and import duty then go for it (if you are in the uk). It will make life a little easier but not much. Our front beam is mk2 with VR6 engine bracket and standard mk2 front mount. Rear engine mount bracket is VR6 and gearbox mount is standard mk2. All works fine. It’s not until you actually start doing the job that you will discover what needs tweaking and what will fit or not. For example, it is recommended that the rear engine mount is cut down by 15mm. We did this but changed it back as the exhaust was sitting on the rack and the pulleys were too close to the chassis rail. It is also recommended that the front mount needs to go up by using hockey pucks but we did not need this at all. In fact I want to drop the front a touch. These cars are all different but my build thread is the most comprehensive you will find, trust me I did the same searches as you and came up with very little or a lot of gaps which is why I did this one. If you read it in conjunction with our Little Red Ryder thread it all comes together.

Georgetl likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes you need a mk3 or corrado vr6 subframe, as the rear engine bracket for a vr6 will only work with a mk3 mount -> mk3 subframe

for the front you either want a corrado vr6 engine carrier, or a mk2vr6 solid conversion mount becasue again the front vr6 bracket will only work with a mk3 mount. gearbox bracket as said any 02a type will do 4 or 6 cylinder they're the same

Georgetl likes this.
  6. PhilRyder

I really don’t wish to disagree with the guru but we have a Mk2 front engine carrier and a mk2 mount with the vr6 bracket?

Georgetl likes this.
  7. rubjonny

well it will bolt up, but the problem is the mk2 mount sits higher and at a different angle vs mk3 which lifts the engine up and pushes it back. a normal mk2 mount can deform to the right shape but a solid one wont. heres a mk2 vs mk2vr6 solid mount for comparison
    g2vr6solidmount.jpg

and the classic pic showing the difference in mk2 vs mk3 bracket angles:
    mk2vsmk3frontbracket.jpg

Georgetl likes this.
  8. Georgetl New Member

I can play around with different mounts but the most important thing is for a vr6 I need a mk3 subframe? Do all mk3 models share the same subframe?

Does the mk2 power steering rack fit on the mk3 subframe? Or will it limit wether or not I can go for a wide track

9. rubjonny

yes you need a mk3 subframe and yep they're all the same

MK2 rack will fit mk3 subframe as well as the wishbones & driveshafts etc if you want to stay 4 stud narrow track. If you want to go widetrack fit mk3 track rods on your MK2 rack

Georgetl likes this.