mk2 fmic

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by jasongtr, Sep 4, 2011.

1. jasongtr Forum Member

very nice engine bay there, nice and clean/uncluttered

nice touch having the washer bottle there too.

a couple of q's

where did you get the IC pipe work, nice to see something other than shiny silver ones, and whats the core size of the cooler.

cheers

2. Admin Guest

have a look at M7R build thread

3. jasongtr Forum Member

cant find it mate

4. Admin Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  5. jasongtr Forum Member

thanks fot that

6. Mook

Mook Forum Member

I think that's a subjective opinion. If you're running a a daily drive then you'll probably be fine with an ebay i/c.

What you need to consider is how well it cools and doesn't drop pressure under sustained load.

At the end of the day, it's your money and only you know how you want your car set up. For me to take my tracktoy to the next level of reliable power with a smooth torque curve, reducing inlet temps is the next thing to prevent pre-det - proalloy is the best option :thumbup:

7. jasongtr Forum Member

Hence the original post, my car is running a Ko4 turbo now but will be running a gt30 at some point, its not my daily driver (or a track car really) but when it goes out it gets driven.

Also what i said about the pro ally one is its been designed for the mk2 so an easy fit too

8. vwd40 Forum Member

Have you seen any real world pressure drops, pre & post cooler temp logs on these fantabulous Proalloy coolers Mook?

9. jasongtr Forum Member

ive ordered a SPA IC in/out temp gauge so ill fit that to see my temps before spending money on another IC anyway

10. MUSH Forum Member

Not a clue on the size of the cooler now, it was some time ago. I just measured the available space and went searching for a cooler that would fit. The intercooler pipework was made up from an ebay alloy 2.5 inch kit plus some decent silicone to bring it all together. Was relatively easy to mock up, theres plenty of room in the mk2 bay, not like the S3 bay ive just made up which needed these as theres not a lot of room....

[​IMG]

Theres decent info over on audisport.net which details results from intercoolers. Most improtantly of all that the ebay coolers are pretty damn good. They reduce temps and flow extremely well with very little pressure drop if installed correctly. Ive even fitted another on mine, with modded endtanks to the same GT30 powered S3...

[​IMG]

And even Bill from Badger5 has one for his hybrid 1.8t Lupo...

11. jasongtr Forum Member

i was also looking at the forge universal ones.

but like you i might measure the space and go from there, if i dont go for the pro ally stuff

12. MUSH Forum Member

It is bud, and i can understand why on a serious tracktoy you would go for the best. On a road car then i would agree its not required due to budget.

Theres nowt out there to suggest the ebay coolers arnt as good though. Ive read many opinions on why they arnt, however theres no proof.
    Plus theres many successful builds running serious power on the road and track that suggest they cope just fine.

Theres even some serious tuners using them...

13. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

erm.. no he does'nt (yet) ;)

14. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

road use and sustained track use are 2 different things..
    the ebay bar and plate cores do (when sized large/talking toyosport) cope pretty well. On the track however where there is a lot more sustained boost/heat, this may not be the case.. as the bat and plate cores can heatsink well, but not as readily heat exchange this back out to air again.. hence ok on the road, but maybe not as good when sustained running under boost.

I have used the 76x600x300 toyo core before on a road car, which was happy temps and over 450bhp. road car, not track car.

15. 16valver Forum Member

I dont think it is a simple bolt on, even though it is Mk2 specific. Seem to remember is taking Goof a lot of work fitting his. I think part of it could have improvments to getting it out for access quickly but still was not straight forward.

How do you know that they are the best flowing intercoolers?

Has there been a flow test done with intercoolers recently?

Would be interested to see it...