MK2 fuel pump upgrade(?)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jimmy2gti, Dec 2, 2019.

1. jimmy2gti New Member

Hello,
    I noticed that my fuel pump housing has been leaking a lot, as it has a big crack under it, and the problem has effects on the fuel pressure on my 8v k-jet. I can't find any decent boxes in my area and online, its a bit too expensive for me atm, so i decided to ditch the whole assembly and install a walbro 255 pump.
    My question is, is it possible to run the stock in tank pump along with the walbro in-line? What other things do i have to take care of? Is it better to just install the new pump in-tank?

2. Tristan Forum Junkie

I would say high pressure in tank only, or else oe in tank feeding a swirl pot for an external walbro.

Or, go look for a mk3 vr tank.

jimmy2gti likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Admin

yeah you'll either need to mod the pump into the tank, maybe fabricate a crude pot for it to sit in so you don't get starvation cornering when fuel is low, or run it externally with a swirl pot between it and the lift pump. can still buy the mk1 cabrio/scirocco/g40 shape polo ones from VW heritage though are a bit pricey. fab up a frame to hold everything up under the car

jimmy2gti likes this.
  4. jimmy2gti New Member

Thank you, swirl pot on its way, I'll post updates after everything is finished.