Mk2 Geabox Removal.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by KeithMac, May 28, 2022.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The last time I did the gearbox on the MK2 16v I pulled the engine out, couldn't get the blooming box off otherwise!.

I'm taking the box out tomorrow with my lad helping, I'd prefer not to have to remove the engine again as there's no where to put it.

Read a few people removing the drivers side driveshaft flange, is this my best bet?.

I've also got a steering rack to go on as well is this a subframe out job?.

Need to break it all up onto 4 hr sessions really as I'm time limited on a weekend.

Cheers all.

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Gearbox, bloomin phone is doing my nut in as well .

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I know you don’t want to take the engine out but if you are doing the steering rack as well I think you are making life difficult for yourself. Can’t you put the engine back in the engine bay when you tidy up? I’m assuming you have a hoist of course, if not ignore me.

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yep I think that's best bet to be honest, the joys of working on the drive!.

I've got hoist and gearbox jack etc, just didn't want to leave engine out front.

Pain in the ass not having side access down the house.

5. watercooled Forum Member

Done it 3 times ,twice because I had no engine hoist or lift point for a chainblock.
    Did a mk2,mk3 (manual conversion ) and a mk4 GTI on a hoist,I have to say the mk2 was the best to do but still a PITA because it really adds time if you don't remove the motor.
    As you have a helping hand it would be easier mostly because getting the box back in is a 2 man balancing act ,good luck.

6. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

I did the clutch on the 16v mk2 on my own on the drive.
    NEVER AGAIN [:x]
    My planning for the rebuild includes how to make engine/gearbox out 'as one' as simple as possible.
    Best of luck Keith

KeithMac and watercooled like this.
  7. watercooled Forum Member

All true and well said,best part is with motor out you can address other issues along the way,in cars this old there could be many [:v:].

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

It's not too bad to remove the box in situ. Been a couple of years but from memory, there's a specific orientation you need to rotate the box in to be able to get it past the chassis leg but it becomes obvious when you do it. No need to remove the driveshaft flange, but I would remove as much of the gear linkage and bracketry as you can as it gets in the way.

As others have said though, probably would be easier given your steering rack dilemma, to remove the lot as one unit.

7787d7de62bc.jpg

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Me and the lad had a few hours on it, ready to pull the engine out complete with gearbox.

Looking at it I've got steering rack to replace, subframe to strip and paint, new cambelt kit, probably strip head and do the valve seals, Neuspeed ARBs need new rose joints, wishbones either clean + paint (or replace), gearbox swap with new clutch, may as do all the brake lines, new calipers all round, new Master cylinder and servo.

I'm looking to bin the load regulator off the rear beam and fit a proportioning valve but need to look into that more.

G60 is coming off and some flavour of bike throttle bodies going back on I think.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah sometimes its worthwhile to just pull the lot if you have a load of other awkward jobs to do

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

That's a good idea making the engine as "modular" as possible, I'm going to re-wire it for 2 connectors (plus main starter/ alternator cables) then easy to pull the lot out.

I have have spare gearbox to go in for now but will have to come out again when I've built my original into a set of new cases.

Not a bad Sundays work to take engine out and swap gearbox, dragging the hoist through the hose on bits is worst bit!.

Made a trolley to cart engine about, had about 10mm spare driving it through kitchen door opening!.

At least it's in the workshop now ready for fettling!.

20220905_141216.jpg

20220905_172753.jpg