Mk2 golf 1.6 Weber 32/34

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Keekster, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Keekster New Member

Hi,
    I’ve recently fitted a new Weber using the webcon kit and followed the very helpful instructions. The only bit it doesn’t seem to cover is modifying the end of the throttle cable so it doesn’t catch. Anyways, the car runs fine when hot, and pulls smoothly. The accelerator pump jet is a bit excessive but by setting the idle at 950, it seems to avoid it stalling if I blip the throttle. But my question relates to the choke. I find it will start fine from cold using the choke, and once started after a minute I push it back in a bit to reduce the revs to about 1300. Like this it will drive fine, but only if I drive with a light throttle. Under load, saying going up a hill, it will get lumpy if I press the throttle too hard. I’ve tried adding choke and reducing it when climbing a hill under load when it’s cold but it doesn’t seem to make much difference. In fact last time it started to flood it so I had to push the choke in quickly and floor it. This problem only happens between 2-3k revs. Once beyond 3k, clearly I’m on the main jet and it will pull fine, but I try to avoid reving beyond 3k with a cold engine. Is this quite normal for the Weber when driving on the choke? I’ve not got anything I can compare it with. thanks K

2. Keekster New Member

Think I've figured it out. I had a look at the choke flap, and noted how much pulling out the knob had on the actual flap. You only have to pull the choke out by about 20mm, for the choke to be three quarters shut, and that is the point the choke arm starts to push on the throttle arm. The total travel of the choke knob is about 50mm, so a tiny bit of movement on the knob has quite a lot of effect at the choke so its easy to have far to much choke. Once the car is started its important to push the choke in to reduce the revs to 1200 as quickly as possible, and to keep nudging it in, to keep it at that as it warms up. I found that I could push it all the way in within a few minutes once the temp gauge rose beyond the white zone. As long as I did this, the car drove fine without bogging down at all.

3. Keekster New Member

For anyone interested this is the mod I did to the accelerator pump jet arm.

52962053050_dc306b55ac_k.jpg

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good tips, uploaded the image so it wont get lost :thumbup:

Keekster likes this.