MK2 Golf 1.8T with TTRS Turbo

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Apsik, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Apsik New Member

A good friend of mine ask me for SWAP ideas into his 100% original '91 MK2 Golf Fire&Ice
    I have chosen the 2,5l TFSI CEPA engine from Audi TTRS but when I was picking it up I noticed a crack on the block (crash was to bad I guess) and I finished with the turbo only :)
    Somewhere in my warehouse I had 1.8T AGU (low millage and wide port head) with harness & sensors and I decided to combine that 5cyl charger with 1.8T engine.

I already did some work to the engine:
    - 1.8 20V N/A cams
    - new timing belt
    - thermal spacer between head & intake manifold
    - hybrid oil pan
    - 630cc injectors
    - VR6 MAF
    and some other small bits.

Turbo picture:
    [​IMG]

It is not gonna be hard to fit that charger on 1.8T. I have some welding experts in my neighborhood. And I (my company) just released a K04 TSI mount set for 1.8T:
    [​IMG]
    As far as I compared 4 & 5 cyl. chargers my set should be enough to bolt it on the 1.8T
    Of course I have to use 4" V-Band for the D-pipe :)

I have the clutch already:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know the narrow band ME3.8 ECU is not the best choice but it is enough to run the engine and safe 350hp tune.

Final 2014 setup contains forged rods, new ACL bearings and ME7.5 engine management (wideband), RS4 MAF and as many safe HP as the charger is capable of.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    Richard Mk2 likes this.
  2. Apsik New Member

Golf 2 1.8T with TTRS turbo @ 1.4bar

Stage 1 (stock engine internals)

[​IMG]

3. Prawn Forum Member

That's pretty awesome, any details on how you blocked of the 5th runner? I'm guessing your discarded the running at the exhaust end of the unit rather than the inlet end?

Very cool indeed :) We've recently fitted a TFSI k04 to a 1.8T like you mention you make a kit for, it's a brilliant little unit, if this is anything similar I can imagine it'll produce great results.

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Must of missed this post somehow.

Very impressive power output. :thumbup:

Do you have a build thread of the car in the members section ? Would love to read more about it :)

5. Apsik New Member

Here is a picture with the TTRS turbo mounted on the engine:
    [​IMG]
    First TFSI K04 setup I made in May and the results were similar (320hp/380Nm). For this project I decided to go with something bigger, something different. Coming spring we will upgrade rods and rise boost. I hope to see over 400hp from this babe :)

It is customers car so I did not make a build thread.

Some pictures:
    [​IMG]

Custom made 3" free flow exhaust with 2,75" Magnaflow back box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boxster rear calipers on 280mm G60 brake discs
    [​IMG]

[video=youtube;vhs8o7VriPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhs8o7VriPQ[/video]

All mods (exhaust, brakes, engine etc.) done by us :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Prawn Forum Member

It certainly sounds impressive, I look forward to seeing how it gets on!

Was the 320bhp result on the TFSI turbo on a fairly conservative tune? the k04-064 is capable of considerably more on a 1.8T if the rest of the setup is up to the task

7. Apsik New Member

I think good K04-064 is capable of 400hp on 2.0TFSI (I am gonna test it in coming 2 weeks) and 350+hp on 1.8T.
    Those are two different engines (CR, fuel injection etc.) but I am always afraid that anything over 333HP/400Nm will bend stock 1.8T rods. ...been there ... done that ... :thumbd:
    As soon as rods are upgraded I can add more boost [:D]

8. Prawn Forum Member

That makes perfect sense, pushing beyond that level on stock rods is a gamble!

We found with the k04-064 we were able to get it to 379bhp at 1.5 bar, pushing to 1.6 or even 1.7 bar only resulted in 380-381bhp, but it was still not generating excessive heat, so flow was being restricted somewhere, thought to be in the stock tfsi charge pipe from the turbo being too small. Hopefully with that revised more will be possible!