Mk2 golf 16v 9a or Abf

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Lukejw90, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Lukejw90 New Member

Hi so searching through many forums on here about a mk2 16v, i have a kr running k-jet with 50mm inlet with kent cams and a p&p head with a miltek 4-2-1. Now i understand that an upgrade for the kr would be a 9a block, by fitting this block will it still be just as revy but with more torque? Also can the 9a be just as good as the abf if im keeping my worked 027 head with kents? Is there that much difference between a tuned 9a and an abf? Are people still running k-jet these days? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  2. MattRX New Member

Bump! How's your research so far?

3. daNpy Forum Member

How different are 9A and KR blocks really (apart from the head)?
    I've had a 9A, now running an ABF. The last one has slightly more HP, but the 9A wasn't built that well (on hindsight).

You'll get more power from changing the inlet system then changing the block I guess...

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

9A etc have 'bubbles' in the lower part of the block to allow for the longer throw crank.

daNpy likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Certainly worth running the KR head with all that work done ,not sure if they fit however, I have fitted an ABF long block to replace worn out KR in my Corrado and because my donor ABF had parts robbed of the EFI when I took delivery of it ,it was an easy decision to retain the k-jet and I had all that anyway .
    Even when my KR was running ok it wasn't a patch on the ABF ,less frantic in rev's and better torque where you need it ,you will get even better result as the Corrado is a heavier car than the Mk2 besides .
    I like k-jet but some say its a PITA but I find its simple and easy enough to sort,all I did with mine was clean and test components ,replace lots of small diameter vacuum lines and haven't really touched it since ,cheers.

Lukejw90 likes this.
  6. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had an ABF bottom end rebuilt many years ago mated to a polished kr head with schrick cams, standard kr fuel injection other than the warm up regulator, a k and n panel filter and standard exhaust manifold and downpipe just with the 20mm spacer plate due to the block height increase and a supersprint exhaust system, these were also on the car as a KR as well. I had more torque coming in at about a 1000rpm lower than the kr and more hp can't remember the details exactly as it was about 16 years ago.