Mk2 Golf 16v cold start

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by tommyc, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tommyc Forum Member

Hello,

My Mk2 has developed a bit of a cold start issue, which seems to be getting worse...

Ignition on - I can hear the fuel pump prime, then I turn it (say 10 - 15 turns)...continue like this for 5 + repetitions, and then it will fire, I never need to dab the throttle to help it start. Once it fires, it runs fine, no need to dab the throttle to keep it going either.

When it is cold, it judders under acceleration - I do not rev past 2.5 - 3k until the oil temp on the MFA is showing 60 degrees, but if I floor it from cold, it is reluctant to shift. Once up to temperature, pull and runs fine.

Injectors aren't leaking, fuel lines are brand new, distributor is less than a year old, new fuel filter. I recently took it for a quick once over after some work (timing check and basic set up), and the mechanic said he had given the metering head a clean as it was a bit gunky, and he recommended that is was rebuilt - he didn't have the equipment to do this. I can't afford the 350 odd quid to do this yet.

I was thinking about getting another 2nd hand WUR from somewhere - scrapyard or ebay etc, and swapping them out to see if that fixes the issue, and then get both the metering head and WUR reconditioned in the future...

Could this be the 5th injector or WUR? Any ideas much appreciated...

Cheers all, Tom

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Tom,

RJ is probably the best man to comment on this but I will give you my two cents for now:

After the mechanic cleaned the metering head, did the car begin misbehave or was it the same? The reason I ask is that the metering heads are picky and it would not take a lot to disturb it and mess up the car's settings, a well intentioned mechanic can do as much harm as good at times - there is a sticky on how to test/set up the metering head if you wanted to go down that route.

From what you are saying above it's sounds like the car is running rich and attempting to smother itself when cold. It would be worth removing and cleaning the WUR or trying a second-hand one and also checking/replacing the thermal sensor as well.

If you intend to keep the 16V, I would also recommend you get your hands on a spare metering head - they are still around on e-bay and or this forum and it would be good to have a spare.

I hope this helps

tommyc likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

tommyc likes this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

As I said Tom, there is one true god and he is called Rubjonny....

5. tommyc Forum Member

Thanks Guys - useful stuff - that guide is brilliant. Been away so not had a chance to start all the tests in the guide yet.

I know that the breathers, and pipes from the WUR and ISV are all good as I checked them recently (changed leaky cam cover gasket so had it all off).
    Injectors should be good as they are new.

Plenty to go on - roll on the weekend so I can get under the bonnet :)

6. robertcoxengineering New Member

you need to check your return pressure from the warm up reg these fail regularly and cause starting issues

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  7. Paultaylor New Member

I drive a Mk 2 Golf 16v and have had a issue with the cold start problem for a few months now. But last week my starter motor failed and had it replaced this week which has also cured the cold start problem. It now starts first turn of the key !