Mk2 golf 1990 Healight switch wiring advice

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Superproc, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Superproc New Member

hi there when i got my mk2 there was no light switch pluged in but i found one in the car pluged it in and guesss what ? Yup lots of smoke and a burnt out wire [:D] the female end that the switch goes in has 10 pins in it but the switch has 11 [:D] is so my question is can i buy any CE2 light switch loom and switch to make and it will work no problem ?

2. nealey Forum Junkie

As long as the switch matches the loom you will be fine, I actually think I have a switch and loom in my garage, I will have a look tomorrow.

3. Superproc New Member

that would be absolutely great :) give me a shout if you find it :)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Worst case if you rewire the switch socket to match the switch you can missmatch them:

11 pin headlight switch:
    X - R/10 (black/yel) - x-over relay live feed
    30 - R/5 (red) - live feed
    31 - R/8 (brn) - earth
    56 - R/9 (wht/blk) - headlight feed & pin 2 of fog light relay socket
    NSL - gry/wht - goes into the front of the fog relay socket on models without front fog lights
    56D - J/3 (yel) - this wire goes from switch to the dim dip resistor, then back to the fusebox pin J/3. Also feeds pin 6 of the fog light relay socket
    58L - R/2 (gry/blk) - left rear light & front side/parking light
    58R - R/6 (gry/red) - right rear light & front side/parking light
    58 - R/7 (gry/grn) - number plate lights, dash light dimmer switch power feed & pin 1 of fog light relay socket
    58e - R/3 (gry) - power feed for dash light dimmer switch
    58b - R/4 (gry/blu) - dash lights feed

I'm pretty sure thought the 10 and 11 pin switches are compatible? did it go up in smoke straight away or did you have to switch the lights on first? what spec car is it, and does it still have the dimdip resistor in if its euro?

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

At some point they keyed the switches/sockets so that 10 and 11 pins ones won't fit in the wrong place.

See post 6 here.

6. rubjonny

bloody stupid that vw keyed it so perfectly compatible switches wont swap, but you can go right ahead and plug incompatible ones in then set fire to your loom :lol:

7. nealey Forum Junkie

I've had a look and I have a 10pin loom to fusebox but the switch is 11 pin. It came out of my old car so it must be compatible.

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Actually, judging by that thread I linked, I must have a spare 10-pin switch somewhere. PM me if you want it cheap.

9. blis Forum Member

John, so what's this other RED on my switch for? I've looked through Bentley and can't find much.

IMG_5207 (HD).jpg

I don't see a yellow, nor gry/wht, something to do with fog lights?

10. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Dim Dip is a UK only anomaly I think so that's why the yellow is missing. Is your car CE1 or 2? VDO are mostly fitted in CE1, but you never know.

11. rubjonny

what pin does the red wire go to? whatever it is, it shouldnt be there...

as above the yellow is there on UK models for dimdip, you should bin it if you have it!

grey/white is only there on 90spec poverty spec models, it pops to the front of the relay socket to power the fog light switch. proper GTI dont need it, instead they got a relay in the socket to power the switch.

pre-90 the fog light switch is powered from the fusebox either way, just uses a different pin depending on if it has front fogs or not :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  12. blis Forum Member

I think I better check my lighting loom again and while Im at the fuse box, try and work out my fog lights. I think Ive hooked them to the parking lights.

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

My ce2 mk2s, a Gti and driver, had different switches. And both have 4 lamp grilles. The Driver one wouldn't work in the Gti.

14. rubjonny

might be irish spec Tristan, you got 10 and 11 pin switches i think the 10 lacks dimdip or something

blis with the front fogs on a 90spec all you have to do is pop a 53 relay in slot 10 then run your front fogs to the plug in the engine bay near the header tank, 2 pin with yellow/white and brown :)

15. blis Forum Member

Guys...

I flicked it and it fell out . doh.

16. rubjonny

the red wire? good riddance :lol:

17. blis Forum Member

18. rubjonny

'No worries' then as I'm sure all Australians say, shortly after slinging another shrimp on the barbie, and tying down their kangaroos etc :lol:

19. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

sorry to hijack, but where does the yellow wire from the ce2 light switch go? i have 2 yellwos coming out of J/3 a solid yellow and a yellow and blue wire..both seem to be headlight wires... but in my hast, i had cut the yellow on the actual light switch and cant figure out where it needs to go back into the fusebox?

20. rubjonny

the yellow on the switch goes to the dimdip resistor, keep it binned. preferably pull the pin out the socket completely. same goes for the spare yellow/blue spade wire on J/3

the dimdip isnt required by law or mot, and when the wires short on the chassis leg it melts the headlight switch loom