Mk2 golf 8v PB engine rebuild

Discussion in '8-valve' started by AaronGS, Jul 18, 2023.

1. AaronGS Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

After time sat int he garage neglected because I have been ill, the Golf is getting some attention again.
    I am needing to address my engine.
    The one in the car is a replacement that I fitted some years back due to needing to get the car on the road.
    The issue is that the cam belt tensioner bolt insert (?) had oil leaking out when we replaced the belt last time. It is due again and I am not looking forward to the job as I suspect things will be worse!

I have the old, original engine and have always planned to rebuild it. It has just taken longer to get around to that I had hoped.

After many a debate regards replacing the engine with the 8v or a 1.8T, for now I am going to go with the simple options of the 8v.

I got all the old engine parts out my shed. All looks okay apart from the block. I am new to this side of builds (never built and engine before) and the block has not done so well from sitting for years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you think this is okay to use Or is it beyond repair? I thought I would ask on here before heading down to the engine rebuilder. I have found a company who say they are happy to look at/rebuild it but if anyone has recommendations for a company in or near Edinburgh, that wood be appreciated too.

Thanks for any help.

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

In the end everything can be rebuild, altough its often not the most economic way of doing things... when i see the bores, these will need rebored and then you need oversize pistons which add up on cost....apart some other machining work and parts...
    How is the rust in the water channels ? Condition of the crank ? etc etc
    Its often better / cheaper to start from a more healthy base engine,
    There are enough good engine/ blocks to find and at reasonable prices and as its vw, much parts can be used from other engine`s / engine codes....

erreesse likes this.
  3. AaronGS Paid Member Paid Member

Hi HPR,

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.
    this is when I start to feel quite of my depth - what size are oversize pistons? What sort of price hike would that mean to a build?

The water channels look okay- just coolant deposits as far as I can see. The crank looks good (to me). The engine was apparently running well before it was stripped down.

I could use the block from the running engine just now and the original head, I guess. I had just hoped to get this one ready prior to pulling the current one out.

4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Maybe just the way the lights catching the tide mark left by the head gasket... but has it been sleeved before?

(there's a bolt pushed into the top left gallery, 1st image)

5. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

STD piston is 81 mm , oversize pistons go up in 0.5 mm steps > 81.5 / 82.0 / 82.5 mm
    For prices have a look on ebay

6. AaronGS Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Zender, no it has not been sleeved as far as I am aware or can tell (is there anything I can look for?). The bolt at each end just pulls out. The bolt had a captive washer that was holding it up. I suspect my mate or me popped it in there years ago during one of my garage moves!?

I will have a look at the oversize piston prices. All I could see at a quick glance was Wossner pistons at about £700 for the set. thats a lot to think about!

thanks for the help and guidance - its really helpful.

The current engine seems okay, bar the head is cracked somewhere in where the tensioner bolt goes. How much work is likely involved in putting a new head on? Would I be expecting a new gasket or machine work?

Sorry for the questions - trying to work my way through this stuff that is new to me.

7. Zender Z20

Only reason I know about sleeving is that I'd it done recently to a block.

Unless it'd been pointed out to me I doubt I'd have picked up on the very feint line where the sleeve had been pressed into the block and that was with a completely clean surface, likely be even harder to detect on one that's not.

That block had 'Nural' oversized pistons put in (+0.5mm), supposedly a reputable make but much cheaper as they're cast and not forged like Wossner.

Had a quick look on Autodoc... there are Mahles and Kolbenschmidt listed that are also supposed to be a good brand, along with some other make I hadn't heard of.

81.0mm Nurals are £55'ish with discount (each) to give you an idea.

8. AaronGS Paid Member Paid Member

9. Zender Z20

Took this photo for something else but you can make out the sleeves if you zoom in a bit on the deck...

IMG20230722140920.jpg

10. stephen stanyer Forum Member

The trouble with buying a second hand engine is you have not heard it running and you don't know the quality of the work carried out.

AaronGS likes this.
  11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Nural, Mahle and Kolbenschmidt (or KS) are all excellent cast pistons and O.E suppliers to VW...I've stripped many with Mahle or KS, less with Nural.

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Take the block to a reputable machine shop near you and have the bore wear measured. If its not to bad the bore could be honed and the pistons cleaned and re rung. Failing that, go for the next oversize up that will clean up the bore wear.

Forged pistons are overkill unless looking for a big performance gain and over 7000 rpm...all the std aftermarket cast pistons are fine if used within moderate limits.

You must also change the rod bolts as they are a stretch item. They're not easy to find and availability can be patchy.

All other items like bearings and gaskets are easy to get. have the machine shop remove the oil gallery plugs and thoroughly clean through the main gallery and feeds into the main bearing saddles in the block.