Mk2 Golf 8v twin carb conversion Help!!!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by philwept_33, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

how close are the carbs to then bulk head,

arnt you going to have a problem with engin movement i e when you rev it up then engin moves.

tim

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

mmmmm,you really need trumpets on there too so you can at least run filter socks. :)

is there any big engineering firms near by?

maybe you could have the manifold cut in half across the middle and re-welded offset?

obviously the inlets would need dremmeling of sorts and then the gaps on the outside would need welding up if you know what i mean [:s]

and yep id advise heat wrapping the manifold (zaust) too.
    it tranfers heat down the system though and you may need uprated zaust hangers. :)

3. philwept_33 Forum Member

yer cheers, ok so got some manifold wrap on the way. Also going to get the brake servo mooved and master cycinder uprated.
    This will avoid the problem with the clearnace for a filter and my friend has kindly made me some carbon fibre trumpets - hummm :p

Rebuilding the driver head and going to put that back on to solve the injection problem. Does that sound likea good idea?
    thanks toi everyone for yor help, especailly riley :)

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

where you moving the servo etc to m8?
    maybe its the easier option than modding the manifold.

carbon trumpets,nice [:D]

edit:not sure on the head,people do stick the gti cam in the driver head,but im not sure on the valve size diffarences etc... :)
    Edited by: riley

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'm sticking to my 1.8 gu head. It has smaller valves than the gti, but it has been ported and polished, with a piper fast road cam fitted. When it was on the rolling road at TSR, the bloke said going to a big valve head probably wouldn't make any difference to the overall power. I think the heads are the same.

Where are you putting the servo, on the passenger side? Its that what they did on the Mk1, and is why the brakes never feel very good.

The problem I'm going to have with fitting my carbs is the inlet manifold is a custom made longer one, to give extra torque.
    [​IMG]
    I think I may have to get it modified, to clear the brake servo.

6. philwept_33 Forum Member

yer that manifold looks well huge, i would seriously be worried about it fitting at all not to mention the brake servo.

If i dont have it put on the passenger side it will probably be at the drivers side but at the front of the engine bay were all the free space is. Use a bigger remote master cylnder or something like that. Im waiting to hear from my mechanic and will elt you know what we choose to do.