Mk2 Golf ABF - Radiator Options

Discussion in 'Engines' started by MrJames, Jun 28, 2023.

1. MrJames Paid Member Paid Member

Evening,

after much reading I understand I can use an original 8V radiator when fitting an ABF into a mk2 golf.

However what is the best option with regards to which radiator to use that will allow me to use the standard hoses (I have Samco hoses for an ABF) and hoping I can use those from engine into the rad. Custom rad that has the same inlet and outlet as a Mk3 rad?

Appreciate the advice.

James

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you have to use the ABF hoses the closest I would think is a MK2 8v ac or diesel rad, or you might even be able to shift the std 8v rad along towards the passenger side till the abf hoses line up?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. MrJames Paid Member Paid Member

Roger that! Perfect I was thinking I might have needed a custom! so once the engine is in I will get it lined up and make any adjustments to allow it to fit hopefully.

5. watercooled Forum Member

ABF conversion to replace very sick KR,replaced radiator with the same for KR after it let go,its the smallest non AC one with dimensions of approx 320 by 540 mm ,hoses all lined up fine with stock non AC hoses.
    This is a small radiator but works great , IMO this was a great time to bring the system up to scratch,I replaced several hoses with new or good used VW genuine ones I had in my collection of spares, any hose that is swollen or crunchy replace them otherwise you will be disappointed later on.
    Run the engine first off with pure water then any issue's requiring draining will save you dumping new coolant ,good stuff isn't exactly cheap afterall if using the right stuff .
    My story and bad experience ,hopefully not too boring but handy info to some ;
    As usual with my car I had a a sh#tstorm of problems ,first was a lazy slow to open thermostat which I replaced ...sorted all good then the radiator let go ,ordered a new one, and continued further test drives and new engine running great ,sometime later the oil cooler let go,header tank full of oil !!!!!!.
    Knew it wasn't the headgasket as no bubbling in header tank and a low km replacement motor besides ,replaced oil cooler but oil in system to get rid of ,something like 4 flushes with cleaner then clear and finally sorted .
    You could use the larger radiator as most likely used however there but the ABF top hose may not work due to the angle of the block plastic fitting in the head and thats because the MK2 never had the ABF ,for me that was easy as I used the KR alloy part as I'am still running K-jet and the clearance is no issue unlike with the ABF inlet manifold .
    Bottom lower hose needs a mk2 plastic lower fitting on the waterpump as that is differant as are the other hose fittings,"plug and pay "can be as some say but there's always PITA little stuff but as these cars get older it can become major PITA to source the parts especially in my country.

Cheers.