Mk2 golf automatic gear lever a bit loose / vague - detent issue?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by saladman, Aug 24, 2022.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

2022-07 purple mk2 at farm.JPG

I'm going over this '89 Driver after being sat for 3ish years and have an issue with the automatic gear selector. It goes into each position fine, but can be wobbled forwards/backwards ~5-10mm when in position.

This makes it difficult to see what gear it's in (relative to the letters / numbers on the base plate) which isn't a huge issue - but today I noticed that when in reverse it won't always activate the reverse light switch unless pushed to one 'end' of the 5-10mm when in R. So kind of dangerous and too likely to be picked up on MOT.

I've popped the cover off from the inside and it looks / feels like the U-shaped part of the 'stick' needs tightening up somehow but I can't see anything obvious from above. Haynes has been predictably vague.

Electrical contacts / wires all seem to be in decent condition + well greased.

Can this be solved from inside or do I need to remove exhaust heatshield and attack from below?

Is this related to the selector cable / tension adjustment from engine bay?

Any tips appreciated! Car only has 47k on it so wouldn't expect anything to be super worn out?

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

clip 20 maybe?
    Clipboard01.jpg

3. saladman

Thanks @rubjonny

2022-08-25 - broken part in gear selector.JPG

I took things apart a bit more today and spied a broken looking thing lurking!

2022-08-25 - broken gear selector rod.JPG

Turns out the bottom of the rod inside the lever (part 6 in the diagram you shared) had broken - so the detent pin wasn't in position and thus no detent-ing. '20' clips are both fine.

I would glue it but not confident it will hold so will find another rod or automatic gearchange assembly.

For info it was possible to get at all of this from within the car, no need to scrabble underneath.

Thanks again for posting the diagram / suggestion.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Messaged you pal.

saladman likes this.
  5. saladman

Update: I can confirm superglue no good as a repair - waited 24 hours before screwing the metal pin in the glued thread and it cracked open after a few turns.

Couldn't find anything on ebay but managed to get a replacement - thanks to @dodgy for helping out with this.

2022-08 gear detent frame.jpg

Interesting to see the different notches for different gears.

After re-assembly the gear selection is well defined and feels much better.

Reverse light issue solved too [:D]

dodgy likes this.