Mk2 golf big brake kit...... But which one?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by moorin, Nov 16, 2014.

1. moorin Forum Member

Hi everyone I'm looking into buying a 280mm brake kit from (so far from a quick google) wildwood, hi-spec or tarox. Personally I don't like wilwoods, the hi-spec kit is cheap but I guess there is a perfectly good reason behind that and I can't find a decent review on the tarox kit. Anyone have any ideas on a decent 280mm brake setup? I want something 4 pot upwards and g60 brakes won't cut the mustard for my power goals so any advice is much appreciated thanks!

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

You may not like them but wildwood's are still the best of you budget kits mate :thumbup:
    G60 calipers with DS3000 pads and proper Volkswagen G60 discs (have the vented hubs) and Motul 660 brake fluid (What I ran and still have spare)
    Can't see a 4 pot caliper on the same size disc being any better and I have both ;)

Sirguydo likes this.
  3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Just looking at some Febi g60 discs on eBay :thumbup:

Part no 535615301 is this the right number for the vented hub discs as it's what's shown in the picture but want to check first :thumbup:
    Also says Febi number is 11206 :thumbup:

Thanks

fasteddie likes this.
  4. moorin Forum Member

Well I have thought about a g60 setup but with a VRT up front and hopefully 500hp I was wanting something more then g60's. I know the tarox brakes are 6 pots which must offer more braking power correct? I was speaking to a guy who had found a manufacturer who has designed a slimline caliper so that you could keep 15" wheels etc just wish I made a note of who it was haha

5. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

500bhp on 15" wheels I take it its AWD as no point running 500bhp on 15" in a FWD car will go no where ..well maybe over a hedge :cry:

6. murph81 Forum Member

Wouldn't it depend on the width of the wheels too no?

Get onto BG Developments for an AP Racing kit, not going to be cheap though.

7. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

They should be better in a number of ways: feel, less heat transfer into the fluid (depending on the piston material), more combined piston area = more force and the closer to the disc edge the pistons are the more efficient they are.

8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

500bhp 15" regardless of width its not going to be useable on the road, need to go AWD.

But suck it and see would not be me [:-B]

AP Racing kit would be the one to go for, ran these in my old edition and an Awesome piece of kit :thumbup:

9. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I don't see it - only one side of the caliper counts due to opposing forces - so in this case it happens to be 4 pistons... the force exerted by one side must equal the other or the caliper body would move. Or in this case press harder on one side than the other - also the case when the sliding caliper is badly maintained and get 'sticky'.

The force applied to the pads is due to the pressure in the brake fluid x the cross sectional area of the pistons - so more piston area = more clamping force for the same pressure in the brake fluid... The pressure in the brake fluid can be changed by how hard you press the pedal, and by how much brake assist is designed in by the manufacturer.
    Friction is directly proportional to the applied load... and INDEPENDENT of the apparent area of contact and the sliding velocity.

Where your fancy brakes may score is in durability, the sliding caliper mechanism is prone to getting 'sticky' and also you may find that they are less prone to fading at higher temps of prolonged barking activity - long steep descents, track days etc

BIG fancy brakes use multiple pistons to allow use of a large disc further out from the center of rotation giving a leverage advantage - but still being able to be contained within the wheel.

10. moorin Forum Member

Thanks for the advice everyone I have looked into ap racing kits but I didn't see the mk2 listed I'll have a better google cheers

11. Jommanjo Forum Member

12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Not necessarily. Don`t believe all the hype.

What you want is good pad area and some of the 4-pot setups use smaller pads than stock, which is no good. However, you will get better fell, cheaper pads and often better cooling from a non-cast single piston OEM caliper.

As others said, 500HP, on 15" wheels ? Really ? You`ll be needing a stronger gearbox and CV`s first !

fasteddie likes this.
  13. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

See need to look harder ..you're on the right forum
    These things are not listed but put together by guys like Nige on the ground ;)

If you have to ask .. you're not a hands man :(

So we have this guy who is up to speed on all things Dub ..... badger5 on here ....Give him a shout ;)
    You get what you pay for ...if you're running 500 BHP in a mk2 you will need to spend the same again on brakes and suspension, roll bars etc :thumbup:

One final tricky job I had to be honest been dreading... Squeazing in AP 4-pots with 305x28 2-piece disks under the customers 7x15 ET35 Pro Race 1 rims..

Well... with minimal changes to a previous 330x28 under 16" rims on the same VR6 hubs, the sample brkt from the 330's pre-modded for the smaller disks, was enough to give me the guide to update the dwg to make a proper pair for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Nige likes this.
  14. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

You should feel it rather than see it, but I still stand by what I said before its not a case of may.

15. moorin Forum Member

Yeh I have a o2m which I have converted to 2wd and going to fit a quaife diff into, I'm then going to have custom shafts made up. It's an ongoing project but nothing is going to be left standard.

I'm selling my girling 60's at the moment so I am wanting to give aftermarket kits ago it's not going to be a track toy it's more a show car.

i am definitely a "hands man" i don't know how you can be quick to judge. if you look at my build thread you will see otherwise i have/will be doing all the work on my mk2 from rebuilding the engine to bodywork etc. Thanks for the pictures I have two sets of wheels which are 9j banded g60's and some 15" gotti g1001's so have to see which are going to fit otherwise i will be going upto 16's but i like the stance with 15's as its going to be bagged.

im constantly learning as really i am a mk3 man as i had a 24v vr6 swap in a mk3 which was a project but took the plunge and bought a mk2 instead.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  16. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Read post 2 again I have ran both on a fair few cars "felt it as you would say" :thumbup: the limiting factors here is your 280mm disc and wheel size to any gains

Also as Nige said in post 12 "What you want is good pad area and some of the 4-pot setups use smaller pads than stock" all need to be factored in ;)

Now for the 500bhp he wants to run, going about it the right way ..280mm is never going to work nor the 15" wheels but working with what the topic
    has asked for, Bills set up is what the car will need if he wants to stick with rim size and run safe ;)

This is what I have found and know, you may have found and know different ...fair enough ....its all good mate :thumbup:

17. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I'm not Judging mate sorry if it came across like that ......Will look at your build :thumbup:

9j banded g60's what sort of mad offset are they now, 6j .... I think they are et33 on a 500bhp car [:[]

18. moorin Forum Member

i will have to get in touch with badger5 then thanks and annoy him haha

fasteddie likes this.
  19. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Will be some ship when you get her done [8D]

20. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Eddie can be nice when he's not judging ;)

I'm hands on brain off lol and sometimes a wind up ;)

But Eddie does seem to know a thing or two for an old grease monkey ;)

fasteddie likes this.