Mk2 Golf Brake Compensator - Bleeding brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Daniel119, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Daniel119 Forum Member

Hello all, I am replacing the brake compensator on my '84 Mk2 GTi and will pressure bleed the system afterwards but i have read on here that i need to clamp the compensator open to get best results but my question is...

Which way is open and which way is closed? My current one is so seized it is hard to tell

Do you clamp the pivot arm away from the main hydraulic body to towards it (where the other hole is)?

[​IMG]

Regards,

Dan

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

look at how it operates and imagine the wheels tucked up inside the car like when its fully loaded - clamp it that way

can be alkward to bleed too- id suggest a pressure bleeder if you dont have one

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

In the bottom left of the picture you have 2 holes, One in the arm and one in the body. You need to align these hole to start the bleeding process. I normally put a cable tie through them and pull it tight, This open the valve.

4. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Easy way to remember this is apply how it works to the assembly on the car. pigbladder has covered the open position and the closed position is, rear body up, lever pulled.

5. Justbe Forum Member

Hey all, I have a 1989 Golf GTI 8v with ABS. Can I pressure bleed the rears with eezibleed or is it better to take advantage of the ABS pressure turning the ignition on for a while (or however it works)? The lever of the bias valve is stuck like in the picture shown underneath. I could still try to squeeze the lever with appropriate pliers... Even though the bias valve lever was stuck in the same position as in the photo, I could get brake fluid coming out from the left rear bleeder when I had the ignition on and ABS pump gathering pressure(?).

biasvalve.jpg