mk2 Golf central locking packed in

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by daljsd, Mar 23, 2011.

1. daljsd Forum Member

My central locking started playing up. I have de-locked front doors and a remote locking toad alarm.

The driverside door locks and unlocks using the remote but the central locking pump is not activating. Things I have checked....

central locking pipes seem to be ok. If I suck or blow (no rude comments please lol) the pipe from the pump then the doors lock/unlock

I have a constant 12V from one of the wires on the pump connector

moving the electric actuator on the driverside door does not activate the pump

I'm a little confused about the constant 12V on one of the terminals of the pump connector.

any thoughts?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats correct, you should have perm live to the switch, then the 2 other outputs send 12v to the pump when locked or unlocked. if this isnt happenign the switch is bust. easy check, get a bit o wire and bridge the pins from the 12v pin to 1st 1 side, then t'other. if pump kicks in you know its the switch

3. daljsd Forum Member

when you say 'switch' are you refering to the connector on the pump or the door solenoid?

I have constant 12V at the pump end.

4. rubjonny

I'm talking about the switch in the drivers door. the factory mk2 doesnt have any vac pump or solenoid in the door, its literally just a switch. you should see it in there attached to the lock block by a metal rod, you should have spotted it when you fitted the aftermarket solonoid

5. daljsd Forum Member

I see, the kit was already attached when I brought the car.

It must be faulty because the connector that plugs into the Pump has constant 12V on one of the pins.

I guess the voltage on the pump connector will stop once I unplug the wires from the switch.

I'll dig around the door some more.

cheers

6. rubjonny

actuaslly if the pump is getting 12v then that means the switch is at least working in one direction. as i say the switch gets permanent live feed, then sends 12v to the pump on one of the 2 other wires depending on if the door is locked or unlocked. i take it you have checked you have a good earth to the pump?

switch:
    1 - red/wht - pump pin 1
    2 - red - permanent live feed
    3 - red/yel - pump pin 3

and pump pin 2 is earth. not sure which pin on the switch is lock and unlock, but as i say put 12v down each of the switch red/yel and red/white wires to see if pump kicks in

7. daljsd Forum Member

Problem fixed.

The door/alarm solenoid was giving a constant 'lock' to the pump. Not suprised really, this is what I found when I removed the door panel...

[​IMG]

A new item from ebay 2 and some careful wiring = fixed

[​IMG]

8. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

holy ****, that is some good wiring right there.

chas likes this.
  9. chas New Member

very neat man ,we, my son and i are having heaps of trouble with central locking, now the vac pump has packed up the butcher that fitted it in the first place made a right mess ,miles worse than yours was,i wish that i lived near you to get it sorted with a little help from my friend.