Mk2 Golf Component/sub install

Discussion in 'ICE' started by kona786, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Can you tell me where you got these from?? as I'm after a ste of 5" components myself and for 95 they look a bargain[:D]

2. kona786 Forum Member

These subs are all well and good but a bit too pricey for me, but if i had the dough the top one is the sub i'd go for. ;)

to Gareth:

I picked my Rainbow's off Ebay (brand new) but you can get them here for 108 inc. delivery - http://www.raysmith.co.uk/Speakers/Component-Systems/Component13-cm/SLX230-Deluxe/.

Anymore suggestions for subs??

Wahid.

3. kona786 Forum Member

Also when the amps power is rated, is the 12v figure when the engine is off and 14.4v when the engine is running??

Wahid.

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

probably, but most car batteries are probably 13.5v when running

5. corradophil Forum Member

Kona 786, how about bridging two of the channels on the amp to power a sub, and using the remaining two unbridges for the components? That way you can buy a sub and box without the need for a built in amp. There are loads on ebay, so you must be able to find something to suit your budget.

6. kona786 Forum Member

I thought of that but my components take 80w rms and the amp in 4-ch mode gives only 4x50rms. Thus i would rather giver them 2x110w of clean power than have them distort due to lack of power.

Also i would like an active sub as all the guess work is already done and the sub & amp would be perfectly matched by the manufacturer.

I like the look of the Vibe cbr-10 active and have heard that it sounds pretty good. Do you think i should go for the Vibe? (remember its only 160 all in)

Wahid.

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  8. mk2_8v_sunderland In Delete Queue

hi there
    i have a vibe 12 inch active in the boot of mine and i would say they are excellent for the money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! loud and have a gd clear sound to them !!!!!!!!

9. kona786 Forum Member

i've ended up with a 12" JL Audio W3-v2 in a JL Prowedge box powered by a Genesis Profile sub amp. [:D] .

Should sound good, hopefully.

10. Aaron New Member

Awesome little setup for the money, sub is probabily one of the best under 200 in my opinion and you cant really complain about Genesis amps as they NEVER go wrong!

11. foxhole Forum Member

Been following this thread with interest. Looking like an excellent systems. Let us know once its all installed, and pics if dare the risk...(you dont really want to be broadcasting to all sorts whats inside)
    Are you doing the install yourself or getting a shop to do it.

Nick

12. kona786 Forum Member

will have a go at installing it all myself.

shouldn't be too hard as long as i take my time and will have some help from a couple of mates.

will let you guys know how it sounds when i get it all hooked up. (mid June)

cheers,
    Wahid.

13. B21 5IDU mk2 New Member

sori if im intrudin but i need some quick advice i was readin thru this thread and i remeber some1 sugesting rainbow 2 way components could i plz have the details of these speakers like model etc and r these the speakers http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3966.html

cheers once agen sori if im butin in :)

14. foxhole Forum Member

They are the components in 6.5" size. Ive just brought some 5.25" ones for my mk2 as they fit straight into the mk2 factory doors without need any new door modifications.
    These can be found here http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3854&cadid=85bd6200af6e6510f20a60bf06b0967e
    All info can be found on caraudiodirect or go to the rainbow website.
    Hope this help... oh and youd probaly want to amp them.
    Nick

15. kona786 Forum Member

here mate:

golf mk3's (16cm) - http://www.raysmith.co.uk/Speakers/Component-Systems/Component-16-cm/SLX265-Deluxe/

mk2's (13cm) - http://www.raysmith.co.uk/Speakers/Component-Systems/Component13-cm/SLX230-Deluxe/

16. B21 5IDU mk2 New Member

oh right cheers for that i'm goin to buy them right now off that ray smith link you put up basically there for my mk3 vr6 do i need to change the existing wiring in the dash and doors also (sori if im butin in) i prized out the grill for the factory tweeters and took them out of the dash do the rainbow ones just fit in or do i need to be a mounting plate or something like that cheers finally i've decided that im going to do the rear doors aswell and you no how theres a tweeter just in front of the door handle will the rainbow one just fit in there or do i need some type of mounting plate. also what do you think of this amp for the components.

cheers